Need help deciding which drive to install Gentoox. Using Mod

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
BooDaddy

Need help deciding which drive to install Gentoox. Using Mod

Post by BooDaddy »

HEllo all, I have a Xecuter 2.3 pro which I have flashed in this manner:

Bios #1: Xecuter2 bios (for booting directly to Evox)
Bios #2: Loader.bin (for loading up gentoox)
Bios #3: COPY OF BIOS 1
Bios #4 COPY OF BIOS 2

and with the mod chip turned off it boots microsoft code normally so I can still play Live.

What I want to do is be able to switch the mod chip to bank 1 to load evox and stuff, then reboot using bank 2 to load stright to gentoox.

So far my mod chip is flashed perfectly. I can boot to microsoft, evox, or the gentoox loader with the switches. BUT I havent installed gentoox yet.

I am confused on 2 things.
#1. Which version should I install the home, pro, or media center edition? whats the difference? and advanages?

#2. Which drive do I install it to? I have my E: drive that has my apps for evox and stuff, and then theres f: which has nothing on it. Where is the best place to install gentoox so that it will boot right from the flash? and what are the differences between installing on E: and F:?

I am a total newb who is learing Linux. I have Ubuntu on my laptop that I dual boot to learn from. Any help is appreciated. I havent installed the actual software yet, but the mod chip has been succesfully flashed.
sevenlayercookie
Novice

Post by sevenlayercookie »

1. Not sure about Pro and Media, I have Home and that works fine for me. I guess it depends on what you want to do with it.

2. Depends on how much space you have on each partition. I think you need about 5 gb. There isn't any difference between F and E except size :\ .
BooDaddy

Post by BooDaddy »

Thanks for the reply. I have decided to go with home. I think the only diff is home has a bunch of stuff precompiled.

I have decided to install an old 40 gig drive I have laying around due to the fact I dont have enough space to install gentoox. I think I will prolly go with a f: drive install and keep all my other xbes on e: