should I buy a "broken" xbox?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jordanh

should I buy a "broken" xbox?

Post by jordanh »

There are many xboxes on ebay that have optical-disk read problems when trying to play games. Will these problems have any effect on an xbox running gentoox or would they be a cheap alternative to a fully functional xbox?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

I wont go into detail but unless you have a way to replace the drive in there (all be it just for a little while) to do a software explit and run gentoox, else get ftp access, you wouldnt have much of the means to put the files needed on the hard drive to run gentoox.

There are a few different ways to do it, check xbox-scene.com for details on the different exploits
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

This is what I did! I bought two broken Xboxes from eBay, one had no sound and one had a broken DVD. The trick is to get a 1.2 -> 1.5 (ask them for the SN: and work it out for your self) then you can do the old silver blob exploit on them so you don’t even need a mod-chip. Then you would used the working DVD drive to firmware them with the gentoox loader (via the well known game exploit) and install gentoox pro (native install) via the network. Hay presto two Intel servers one for £30 with no sound (big deal) the other £40 broken DVD, and neither of them ever needing the DVD again as gentoox loader now boots from the LAN, SWEET!!!!!
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
jordanh

Post by jordanh »

If I use a mod chip should I anticipate problems installing gentoox and using the dvd drive after the install if I'm using an xbox that gets the "dirty disc error"s? Could I just replace the dvd drive with another regular cd or dvd drive and be able to install and run gentoox, or do I need to replace it with a working xbox dvd drive?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

I think so, although the only time i plugged in a non xbox cd drive was when i was using Resctoox to switch from E -> native, and my TSOP was flashed with Gentoox Loader 5.11. If you try you will need a Y splitter power plug thing