proftpd fails to start (error while loading shared lib)

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
rootinator

proftpd fails to start (error while loading shared lib)

Post by rootinator »

I'm getting an error when I try to start proftpd.

My details:
-------------
latest version of Gentoox home, have moved installation to F-drive using resctoox /sbin/f-drive, have done an "emerge sync" and "emerge -av mysql apache2 mod_php".

After that I have tried to FTP to my box, but I never got a connection (connection refused).
I tried restarting/starting proFTPd and this is the error I got:
root@xbox gentoox # /etc/init.d/proftpd start
* Starting proftpd...
/usr/sbin/proftpd: error while loading shared libraries: libmysqlclient.so.12: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory [!!]
I must admit I never tried ftp'ing to my box, before I emerged mysql, apache2 and mod_php. It would seem that the emerge of mysql has done something to proftpd, because now I can't start the service :(
Please help - it would be nice to FTP into my little webserver :roll: :?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

the error is because that file its looking for does not exist, see if your config files are trying to use mysql for its config files

i found this on gentoo.org forums
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-41 ... error.html
rootinator

Post by rootinator »

I think I might have messed up when I emerged mysql in this version of Gentoox. If I remember correctly mysql is already included in Home, and I'm guessing that the proftpd-login-info was in a table in some database :(

Guess I'll have to do the whole thing over again... :cry:
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

I think forums.gentoo.org has a post on what format mysql should be setup with proftpd tables in case your looking for a decent read.