Extracting rootfs fails at x%

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
vapid

Extracting rootfs fails at x%

Post by vapid »

First I'd like to say to any of those people who have had the error "Unable to get first sector" it does NOT mean it's something wrong with your hard-drive. I swapped HDD's, I swapped boards with another mod, I swapped chips. Finally I tried swapping cd-roms. Only reason I didn't do that sooner was because I had just bought a new Samsung DVD drive. But it turns out that is what the issue was.

Finally after all that I make it to the next step... Installation. I'm not doing a native install. I'm installing gentoox to my F:\ drive. It makes it thru all the steps..[ok] before "extracting rootfs". Then at 69% it craps out saying it cannot decompress the distro.rar. This is a brand new burn of the "Home iso" on a DVD+R" It's a fairly new Thomson drive. Could it be the drive? Could it be the image? After messing with this thing for hrs, I just want a quick fix for this if there is any.

I was thinking of possibly extracting the distro.rar manually the the drive, however would it boot normally as the chip should already be flashed? Or would I have to do the loading through the XBE file?

If anyone could help me out, I'd definately appreciate it.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

check your .iso with the md5 sum before burning to disc, may help with reducing coasters