Linux ran on HDD

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Cayotic

Linux ran on HDD

Post by Cayotic »

I’m a Noob to Linux but not the modding scene. I have a softmoded 1.0 version xbox with a 300 gb hard drive. I recently installed 2 usb ports on the back of my Xbox to hook up a keyboard and mouse. The keyboard and mouse has encouraged me to use the linksboks web browser. The web browser in questions sucks and has problems with java and flash and it is limited in its capabilities. As an advanced computer user I don't take to kindly to being limited.

So I began my research in the Xbox Linux project. I probably should have sooner but I am just in love with XBMC and its ability to process karaoke and various other media files.

I downloaded the dist-1.1.4-xbox.tar from source forge but it only runs from CDRW. I would like to install it and run it as a secondary dashboard in order to use fire fox and some PC like features when needed.

If you can solve that problem my next is network settings. Apparently it didn't detect the network settings that XBMC was using so I couldn't run fire fox. It loaded but it couldn't access any websites. Anyways, thanks for any help in advance. I hope my inquiries haven't been to noobish.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

dist-*.tar.gz is for Xebian i suggest you seek support there, I would not begin to know how to help you with that, although I could tell you, linux =! dashboard
Cayotic

Post by Cayotic »

I don’t see a forum here dedicated to Xebian. A Google search pointed to this site as the POC for all Linux (Xebian and Gentoox) related inquiries. I did find the howto for Xebian here:
http://www.xbox-linux.org/wiki/Xebian_HOWTO

I already have a USB keyboard mouse hooked up as specified by the howto; however, when I am prompted for a password after typing 'su' (which is suppose to initiate the installation process) my keyboard can not execute any characters. All I can do is press enter only to read "Authentication Failure"

So needless to say I am truly stuck. I tried the virtual keyboard located on the desktop and sure enough it too can not type in any characters for the password.

Any suggestions?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Again like orochi mentioned, if your looking for xebian help, you would have to go to xbox-linux website. You will not get much help here which is specific for xebian.

But hopefully, you should be able to SSH into it and run the scripts from your pc. Thats how we do it on Gentoox. Go ahead try gentoox.

hth
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2