A few questions from a gentoox\linux newb

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
ritalin

A few questions from a gentoox\linux newb

Post by ritalin »

I have finally gotten my Viewsonic 32 in HDTV/monitor to display 720p Im planning on trying to get the overscan issue worked out. However I was wondering if 1280x720 was the highest resolution Gentoox can run? My Viewsonic has a native resolution of 1280x768 is it possible to run gentoox at this resolution? Also there seem to be a good deal of screen flutter on 720p. It looks like there is a thin rippled water layer on my screen. Side note 720p runs fine in XBMC so i know its not the box or the tv. I have a focus chipset if you plan on asking.

Second: This xbox has two places of use
1. connected to my HDTV
2. dash mounted screen in my car. Its a pretty clear display but it sure as hell doesnt have component hookups. This bring about the need to easly switch between the two signals/resolutions from boot up. The only why I have been doing it at the moment is to pick the system command to switch between operating enviroments, as this allows me to choose what display connection to use again. Any one got any other ideas, that my make this easyer for me. It would be nice to have a script that could change that and several other GUI features like the font, icon and task bar size in one click. Any one have a place for me to start as far as going about writing said script.

Third: When in the Xfce if you change the resolution to something your display cannot handle it sticks to this resolution at a black screen and doesnot auto revert to the last resolution displayed, Like the KDE enviroment does. Made the mistake of doing this wiht the root login. Does anybody have a way to change the resolution of jsut the root user in Xfce.

Last one( I promise):I saw that some one posted on here that they got thier ipod workign and connected, will the same prossess work for any USB HDD?

Willing to learn linux just want some help getting started.