Magic update killed Gentoox!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Snoopy

Magic update killed Gentoox!

Post by Snoopy »

Hi Everyone

I installed Gentoox home 1.4 the other day on E: and ran it through the xde. I must admit Shallax has done a great job on the package.

I thought I'd be clever and run magic. After many hrs and several cups of coffee I returned to reboot the xbox. After the reboot I started updating some sort of sound driver..anyway...After that I could not get Gentoox to boot up. At first it would boot up using the updated loader until the starting local bit and then I would loose video output to the tv.

I tried rebooting several times and still got the same response. I ran sparkle and that didn't work. I thought I did something wrong and thus reinstalled gentoox and ran magic again. This time It stops at a login screen. The errors just prior to this is the inability to map the required drives.

I've tried resctoox and to ssh but obvious this is quit limited and I can't run magic from here to attempt to fix the ?patches?

I tried looking through the forum /faqs and manual and can't seem to find anything that describes this. The closest issues can find are the initial problems with the 'new kernel' some time ago and it compatibility with fatx. Have these been resolved? What steps should I take to successfully run magic on a new home 1.4 install.

Your help/direction would be very much appreciated.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hi

It would help if you told us what ver of xbox you have.

Install gentoox, run emerge sync, then run magic

hth
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
Snoopy

Post by Snoopy »

My appologies

xbox version 1.1

Thanks again.
sham
Linux User

Post by sham »

could it be that your kernel is not ready?
i have gentoox pro and after i have run magic i get a grub error 15. magic has overwrite the linuxboot.cfg and the path to the kernel was not correct.
read it here: viewtopic.php?t=3092&start=45
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Im guessing you didnt fill in the xbvset stuff correctly. Also I'm guessing you mean Pro v1.4. Are you aware Pro v2.0a is out? At any rate, if you want a GUI you'll want Gentoox Home v4.0.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo