How to do a diskless installof gentoox from the Root Console

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
murraykj
Banned Losers

How to do a diskless installof gentoox from the Root Console

Post by murraykj »

Hello,

I have a Gentoox box, which has worked good for me the last couple of years.

I have the older version of gentoox Linux I think it was a version 2 or 3.

I had a problem with the system and as a result i had a crash.

I did manage to get the system up and running again but only now on a command level as root.

I tried emerge sync and fixpackages as well as rsync however i have a problem because the system does not have Slotmove

My linux is running on top of the FATX filesystem in 2 large files. native

i have the ability to connect to the internet from behind a firewall and i know how to manually set the ip and gateway.

when i try MAGIC i still get slotmove errors.

I think that i need to rebuild or reinstall the os from media, however I dont have readily access to create the media but i can download the files.

my notebook is low on space and as such dearchiving the ISO and FTP to the FATX drive is not an option.

is there any way that I can from the root prompt on my gentoox box do a reinstall via the internet?

im thinking that it would be a nice option as a example, in the XBE Bootloader if there was a FTP option to load the latest version of the operating system to the FATX file system.

Should be easy, all that should be required is to have the XBE download the contents via FTP and dearchive the package to the drive, file system and all. on the console alone. E is a nice place or F as a option.

I know that its not the most optimal way to probally do it, but it would be a easy way for users to add the operating system to their consoles.

most of us know how to do the FTP and make the ISO;s ect, but it would be nice to have this option.

I know how to work a little in the unix environment, but what ever happened to mine I dont know....

my system has other stuff on it thats why i run it on top of FATX

Magic Uhoh UHOH! lost my boot file.

I tried the new loader.xbe and Voila! it got me back to a CLI from a earlier problem. I also installed sparkle, it was not able to do anything for me.

My loader and kernel are on E
my filesystem and swap files are in separate files on top of my fatx on F

My own problem has something to do with some sort of a corruption in the file system and after i was trying to fix that there were some dependency problems and also a permissions problem even as su root#

Im thinking that a reinstall should fix everything file system and all.

Is there a set of commands that i can use now from the #prompt that i can ftp the archive, dearchive it and make it install the filesystem as well to either E or F.

Basically what we gotta do here is a Diskless Install. we Got IP connectivity and a Shell but no installation media. and for me i havent got a cd burner at the moment.

I can get the ISOCD burned to create the media via sneeker net, but to he honest, why create the cd, when it should be able to be done on the console alone by simply transfering the files there in the firstplace. The CD is nice for backup purposes.

I think that my idea of a diskless installer via ftp is a nice idea, and would also fix some media compatibility issues when it comes to the installation of the operating system on the console.

Basically a user can simply download a XBE and the XBE will install all the files for you. This would be great for those who simply want access to a wordprocessor or browser under linux and have minimal equipiment or complex understanding of linux or problems usually assioated with installation media such as the DVD drive being fussy and having to boot the thing many times to get the disk to finally boot.

Who wants to tackle this one (-:

Thanks,

Kenny Murray

Newfoundland
Canada

murraykj@canada.com
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont think you need to reinstall. The complaining about "Slotmove" means that portage is out of date - is it possible for you to run "emerge portage"? Or maybe download a recovery snapshot of portage and install this.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
murraykj
Banned Losers

Thanks

Post by murraykj »

Thanks for the help, I was able to get another copy of Gentoox home while I was home over christmas.

I Backed up my files as necessary and reinstalled a fresh copy of Gentoox 4 Home, Works nice.

Thanks for the addition of the NetBoot now in version 6.01 of the Gentoox Loader, its a nice option and should also allow not just for the installation of Sparkle but prehaps in future the entire OS as well, although it may take a fiew minutes (-:

Another note to make related to the XBE loader is that the system will not boot if the Xbox DVD Dongle kit is installed on any of the ports.

The Dvd remote dongle kit must be removed for the loader to successifully boot the Gentoox and or provide access to other menus in the Gentoox Loader.

I'm very happy with the work that you did on the new 6.01 Loader, Nice Work Shallax.

Prehaps the loader on the sites download utilities and software could also be changed to reflect the new loader for the benefit of others, I think that there is a older version there at the moment.

Kenny Murray

Newfoundland
Canada

Best Wishes for 2006
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Re: Thanks

Post by orochi »

murraykj wrote: Another note to make related to the XBE loader is that the system will not boot if the Xbox DVD Dongle kit is installed on any of the ports.

The Dvd remote dongle kit must be removed for the loader to successifully boot the Gentoox and or provide access to other menus in the Gentoox Loader.

this is a known issue, please use the search function