Problems installing Gentoox

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
gasranas
Linux User

Problems installing Gentoox

Post by gasranas »

I am having trouble getting Gentoox running. Apologies if I am asking something that has already been answered elsewhere - I have tried searching on the forums and read all the docs I can find.

Tried installing latest version of Home and Pro via FTP on my xbox. The xbox is running EvolutionX. Follow instructions, opened file into WinRAR, unRARed the iso, opened the distro.rar file into WinRAR and extracted the files, copied all 7 (gentoox.xbe, initrd.gz, linuxboot.cfg, rootfs, sprkrd.gz, swap and vmlinuz) to the root of e. Modified EvolutionX's dashboard so that it appears in menu.

When I click the menu item in EvolutionX, the Evox "loading" screen appears, and nothing else. Stops there.

I'm not sure what I've done wrong. Something stupid probably. If someone could help me, that would be great. I'm aware that some technical specifics might be needed - if you let me know what you need to help me resolve the problem I will post them.

Thanks,

Gasranas.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

pull out all your controls. put only one of them and try.

if that doesnt work.. give us more info on what version of xbox, what kinda tv connection and hdd info..

hope that helps,
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
gasranas
Linux User

Post by gasranas »

I have now tried that, no joy, does exactly the same.
It's not even getting to the gentoox loader, almost like my xbox can't run the .xbe.

Thanks for trying to help me get it sorted.

I have a XBOX V1.0
120GB Sygate Harddisk (not sure on how to get any specifics without Linux - any ideas ?)
Using a standard XBOX > SVID connection

Fustrating thing is, I have used Gentoox before - and I did exactly the same thing (to the best of my knowledge) and it worked. We are talking about 10/12 months ago however.