Install Hangs [Solved]

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

did you try to different way to format your hdd.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
peegee
Linux User

Post by peegee »

ahhh yes!
i forgot about this - will try tonight
peegee
Linux User

BREAKTHROUGH!

Post by peegee »

OK, so wow what an ordeal, but i finally got it to load.
I soldered the Mod Chip in and without putting it all back together i tried it (with one controller plugged in - more on this important info later) and it worked!! i was so pleased. So i naturally figured that it had something to do with the soldering, and i screwed the DVD and HD back in, put the top back on and plugged in the second controller.

I tried to load it again, and it didnt work - boy was i stumped. how could i have it working and then it not work - after all i had SOLDERED it in!!!.

So i thought. What was different about this when i tried it before - Thats right the second controller was not plugged in. So i unplugged the second controller and it worked again - WOW!!

Im not 100% sure yet, but ill test more tomorrow, and get some real info. (BTW they are 2 x logitech RF/Wireless xPads)

Phew - i have linux running (used the FTP install method)

So now, how do i get X running? i tried startx, and nothing.
The FTP install kinda leaves one hangin like this:

"Item "Gentoox","E:\gentooxx.xbe"

General Notes
Only FTP over the contents of DISTRO.RAR, nothing else. DO NOT include the contents of the CD, DO NOT upload the actual "DISTRO.RAR" file. Note that "sprkrd.gz" and "sparkle" files were added after this tutorial was written, simply copy these over with the other files.

All filenames (once uploaded) should be lowercase not UPPERCASE or MiXEdCaSE. If they arent, then you have done something wrong (You probably extracted DISTRO.RAR over the contents of the ISO file). You'll need to start again from the beginning if this is the case. "

Any clue on how to get X up and running after the FTP install? or do i have to do some other install linux to HD (ext2/3) filesystem/partition first?

Thanks!!
peegee
Linux User

Post by peegee »

Ok, im finally all set.
I think i had the Gentoox Pro files at e: and thats why it wasnt loading X.
So copied over the Gentoox home files and eveything went very well.
Im actally typing this from within Gentoox now.
A Huge thanks to those who helped me out and offered suggestions.