How to resize rootfs?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
mr1337

How to resize rootfs?

Post by mr1337 »

Ok, here's my situation. I'm installing Gentoox on my Xbox. I have a mod chip, and a bios, and a dashboard, and they all work. I'm trying to do the FTP install of the home edition, because for some reason, it's not wanting to recognize the DEFAULT.XBE in the stardust.iso file (I haven't tried making an xISO of it... but with a mod chip I shouldn't have to, right?). My problem is that rootfs in the folder used in the FTP tutorial is too big for my E:\ drive. rootfs is a little over 4 GB, and there is only 3.85 GB available on E:\ even after everything is moved off that partition (except TDATA, UDATA, and CACHE but I wasn't going to try to mess with those). I read in the manual that there is a way to resize rootfs. I looked over the site and searched the forums, but found nothing. Does Gentoox need to be installed before I can resize it? After Gentoox is installed, I plan on moving it to F:\ where there is ample file space.
mr1337

Post by mr1337 »

Another question: What's in the CDATA and UDATA folders, anyways? Game saves? How much room on E:\ should I have if deleting some/all of these directories is a viable option?
jeokeefx
Novice

Re: How to resize rootfs?

Post by jeokeefx »

mr1337 wrote:Ok, here's my situation. I'm installing Gentoox on my Xbox. I have a mod chip, and a bios, and a dashboard, and they all work. I'm trying to do the FTP install of the home edition, because for some reason, it's not wanting to recognize the DEFAULT.XBE in the stardust.iso file (I haven't tried making an xISO of it... but with a mod chip I shouldn't have to, right?). My problem is that rootfs in the folder used in the FTP tutorial is too big for my E:\ drive. rootfs is a little over 4 GB, and there is only 3.85 GB available on E:\ even after everything is moved off that partition (except TDATA, UDATA, and CACHE but I wasn't going to try to mess with those). I read in the manual that there is a way to resize rootfs. I looked over the site and searched the forums, but found nothing. Does Gentoox need to be installed before I can resize it? After Gentoox is installed, I plan on moving it to F:\ where there is ample file space.
hello mr1337

ever heard of paragraphs !

do a standard install , afterwards try changing the name from default.xbe to xboxdash.xbe , also make sure you are running the latest bios on your modchip .

You can resize the rootfs , but the maximum size is 4gb , this is a limitation of the fat file system . To add another rootfs of 4gb enter the code below and then mount the file system by making an entry in your fstab file .

Code: Select all

magic newfs