newbie and linux server

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
r_blackmoor

newbie and linux server

Post by r_blackmoor »

Hi from Finland!

I own a xbox crystal edition, operating system 1.6 and samsung dvd drive, with alx2+1.6 modcip installed, slayer's evoX 2.6 and a 120 GB harddrive.

I'm interested in Gentoox, as a MySQL and a http/php netserver.

Is that possible? and if it is, could you please send me the instructions in email, from start to working server? and I mean instructions for a man who has only seen linux in teacher's computer, so I really am a newbie!

and also, if you could send me instructions for how to contact the xbox linux server from net and from LAN for you know, inserting stuff to MySQL database, and updating pages, thatwould be really helpful!

I know, I'm asking a lot, but I would need this configuration for an experimental project, and it would help... alot!

One more thing, I want to install gentoox to f partition, so I can play my games and NOT destroy e partition. I have 20 GB of free space there, so it would be enough for this server purpose.

Thank you verymuch for advance!

my adress: r_blackmoor@@hotmail.com (skip the second @)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, thats all possible... and I doubt you'll get anyone to send you instructions on this. Thats why Google exists.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
r_blackmoor

about server...

Post by r_blackmoor »

Well, if I do install gentoox to my xbox, and get it up and running, where can I get that MySQL server for linux, and how do I install it?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

again a search on the forums would help you. You dont have to wait for anyone to answer the question as its already been answered..

Learn to walk and dont run already. Install gentoox, get it up and running. Once you do that you can go to the next step..

You also have manuals, faqs, tutorials in the main gentoox site. Look it up..
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
r_blackmoor

installing

Post by r_blackmoor »

wont work!

downloaded home edition, tried to burn stardust.iso, the xbox won't boot from it.

So tried the ftp installation, my e: drive does not have enough space, i have 4.5, it is just below the neede level.

Why can't i put everything to f: drive and use linux from there? that won't work, but is there a way to make the ftp installation to f: drive?

And is the pro installation via ftp smaller than home ftp installation?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I'll refer you back to vplayer's post about using the search facility.
r_blackmoor

Sorry

Post by r_blackmoor »

to say this, but what a fine help page this is...

I thought that this was for newbies.

Thank you very much for help, i quess i will forget the xbox linux installation.

Does'nt it occur to you that these newbies don't know how to search topics.

But sorry that I bothered you, I thought you wanted to help newbies, not to insult them.

hope you had your fun! :(
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I didnt insult you at all. I told you to search because your questions have been answered countless times in the past... not to mention that the very same questions got asked last week.

Yes, this forum is for newbies, but its not for idiots. I'm afraid you fall into the second category if you cannot figure out how to search.

27 seconds of searching:
viewtopic.php?t=3236&highlight=ftp+f (why this doesn't work is unimportant and too complex for a self confessed newbie, accept that it doesn't)
viewtopic.php?t=3237&highlight=install+sizes
r_blackmoor

Post by r_blackmoor »

Sorry about that.

Have installed xebian now. and apt-get install apache php4 mysql-server-4.1 mysql-client. so installed apache php and mysql server.

Everything works, but I cannot connect to the mysql server from my other computer. I CAN coonect to the apache server, and see stuff from my xbox.

http://www.linuxhelp.net/guides/mysql/

I tried to do those instructions, but still my computer cannot connect. can you help me with this? I'm using SQLyog as a connection software.

And can you help att all with xebian?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Nope, go bug the creator of Xebian.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hahaha .. what has this world come to.. First they say you insult them for asking questions without searching and then they ask for help again.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patience is something you need to learn before you try to learn Linux :)
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Not only that he wants help with Xebian, LMFAO, how rude!
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...