Programs that can run in GentooX

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Programs that can run in GentooX

Post by FlamingGooch »

Hey all. I have everything installed and it runs fine. I have heard that you can get some games to run on the xbox like starcraft and counter-strike. Does this work, and if so, how do I install them? Also, what is the program wine or xine? What do those do and where can I get them? Thanks everyone for helping me with these nubcake questions :D
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

If you want to play games on your Xbox, play Xbox games. Don't try to run a game designed for a PC with lots of memory, on a 64 MB console running Linux with Windows emulator.
You can run a CS server on Gentoox though, with decent performance.
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

So what about all the people that I saw that have starcraft? And wahat about that program wine or xine or whatever it is?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

do a search on the forums for wine or starcraft... You will get more info.

and yes you can play starcraft with gentoox..
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
FlamingGooch
Novice

Post by FlamingGooch »

I downloaded Wine from here http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... ge_id=6301 . I picked the file Download Wine-20050725-i486-S10.1.tgz. Is this the right file? Also, can you just FTP over the Wine files and then type emerge wine in Linux and it will work?
Krazy
Adept

Post by Krazy »

FlamingGooch said:
...Also, can you just FTP over the Wine files and then type emerge wine in Linux and it will work?
Short answer: no. But to learn more... keep reading :)

"emerge" is the name of the command you use to access/install/removed ebuild packages in Gentoo's portage (software build) system. Before I go too far let me try to expand that:

Gentoo is a linux distribution that runs on a variety of platforms (hardware). One of Gentoo strengths is that it is built from source, meaning that applications do not usually come pre-compiled. Applications that you may want to install are maintained by developers, and are represented in the portage tree by "ebuilds" -- a particular release of a software package [including source, man/info/readme files etc], having a number (0 or more) of software dependencies, also maintained in the portage tree.

One benefit of portage (and hence Gentoo) is since each application needs to be compiled it will be optimal (in terms of "code" instructions used) for the platform you are running it on eg PC(x86), sparc, alpha etc

Portage, Gentoo's build system, is available for other *nix too (eg Mac OS X). For more info on portage refer to http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/h ... t=2&chap=1

Now to the real meat of your question:

The files you mention do not come from portage, and hence can not be emerged. Portage does however have a number of wine ebuilds available. Use the following to get at list:

Code: Select all

emerge --search wine
Once you have selected the one you want, type emerge <name> to install it.

Hopefully I haven't confused you to much with all of this. My suggestion is spend some time over at gentoo's site http://www.gentoo.org

BTW, Shallax's port of Gentoo is "GentooX", and just happens to run on xboxes, pretty darn well :wink:
v1.1 xbox, stock HD, soft-modded [uxe+ dualboot: UnleashX/GentooX], with Pro2.0
v1.4 xbox, stock HD, Xecuter3 (X3 3294), running headless with Home 6.1