GentooX Pro, booting question.

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
kenshin

GentooX Pro, booting question.

Post by kenshin »

I have successfully installed GentooX on a version 1.0 Xbox with an Aladdin XT Lite modchip, and currently emerging the likes of Apache, Samba, and MySQL for development reasons.

When I was installing GentooX, it asked me if I had a modchip installed and what the flash size of the modchip is. Having looked up the information on the Aladdin, I found it to be 256KB. So I selected it. Later on I notice that the flash utility didn't like something and said that the flashing process failed.

This brings me to a few questions :

1. How is it possible to make this machine boot to GentooX from startup? ie. No user intervention?

2. If it requires the Aladdin XT to be flashed with another BIOS, is this modchip capable of it?

3. If not, can someone recommend me a decent modchip that will?

Cheers.
Alex

PS. Props to the ShallaX team for an awesome job on GentooX. You rock! :)
lidback
Linux User

Post by lidback »

take the *.bin file of when you where downloading gentoox pro. then put it in your system. then "emerge raincoat".
then you simply use "raincoat -p directory/to/the/file/file.file" to load the gentoox loader bios.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Hi,

You say you have installed gentoox and you are emerging apache. So whats the problem. Are you running gentoox right now, so why do you think installation failed.

You dont have to change your existing bios on your modchip (most of the time), and gentoox runs fine from a dashboard.
The reason why it complained about your bios could be because it was write protected (if you can do that with alladin), and if so its a good thing. Read more about loading the gentoox loader bios in the main gentoox page before you try anything with it..

hope that helps
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
kenshin

Post by kenshin »

lidback wrote:take the *.bin file of when you where downloading gentoox pro. then put it in your system. then "emerge raincoat".
then you simply use "raincoat -p directory/to/the/file/file.file" to load the gentoox loader bios.
Worked like a dream. I hadn't tried using the raincoat flasher, but it worked perfectly. Now boots straight to GentooX Pro.
xboxfs conf # raincoat
raincoat Flasher 0.10 (Aug 27 2005)
Trying to read "/etc/raincoat.conf"... 0 flash types added from file.
Total known flashes: 151
Use raincoat --help for more details

DETECTED: SST_49LF020A (256K)
Completed
xboxfs conf #
Seems that the Aladdin XT Lite is capable of flash programming after all. I just copied the loader.bin (for version 1.0) to my /root directory and gave it the 'raincoat -p /root/Loader.bin' and it programmed.

Question is now, if I ever want to revert my Xbox, is the old EVOX BIOS trashed rendering the modchip useless? Not that I want to do this, but it's nice to know. :)

[/quote]
Schultz
Novice

Post by Schultz »

All you would have to do is download a new bios to put on your modchip in gentoox and then flash that with raincoat. and personally with every xbox i mess with i always backup the flash if i remember correctly to backup your BIOS is raincoat -r /path/to/file and that just outputs your current bios to file.. but too late now.
kenshin

Post by kenshin »

Schultz wrote:All you would have to do is download a new bios to put on your modchip in gentoox and then flash that with raincoat. and personally with every xbox i mess with i always backup the flash if i remember correctly to backup your BIOS is raincoat -r /path/to/file and that just outputs your current bios to file.. but too late now.
I managed to get another xbox with a modchip for $20 (damaged) off a local auction site. Turns out the guy fitted his own modchip (Aladdin XT!) and made a few dumb mistakes that were relatively easy to repair by using a reworking station and some solder flux (easy when you are a qualified service technician eh!).

Have dumped the other BIOS from the other Aladdin XT for future use if I should ever want to revert these boxes.