Accessing Internet

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
chris7519

Accessing Internet

Post by chris7519 »

installed Gentoox and it seems to run fine but now i need it to access the internet (i have the xbox connected directly into my cable modem). when i start up firefox i get a page cannot be found message. so i am trying to go through the networking tutorial (not sure if this fixes it), but when i enter "pico -w /etc/conf.d/net" i can't see the "iface_eth0="dhcp" line. at the bottom of the screen it says i can page down by entering ~V (hard to see), but i can't get this screen to scroll down using the xpad. is this going to connect my xbox to the internet or do i need to do something else? i am selling this system to someone, so would they have to change the settings if they have a different high-speed service provider?
rprockey
Linux User

Post by rprockey »

Did you power cycle the modem (unplug power, wait, wait more, plug in power) after plugging in your xbox? Many modems require a power cycle after being plugged into another computer. Also, some Cable ISPs do not support the ability to switch your modem to different computers, which is one reason why routers and MAC spoofs are handy.

Run ifconfig, if you are getting a 192.168.1.13 address then your xbox is not getting an IP address from your ISP. If you are getting a dhcp address such as 68.65.36.65 then there may be other issues such as DNS.
R.P.Rockey
-----------------------------------------------------
Xbox v1.1 - x2.3Pro - 120g Barracuda
GentooX Pro v1.3 - Native Install
chris7519

Post by chris7519 »

I was able to get a static ip which is what shows up when running ifconfig but i still can't connect to the internet. i kno when i upgraded my computer my cable company (mediacom) wanted me to register it before it could access the internet. would this be the reason why? when i hardcode the mac address, do i need the same one my current computer is using? i will give this a try, but if it screws up can i get the defaults back?
also, i'm selling this system to someone who needs internet access included. is it normal for people to just get onto the internet without making any changes (just plug it straight into the modem and go)?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

for cable modem, you only have to register when you get the new service.

Whats your static ip.

instead of pico, use "more /etc/conf.d/net", that way you will atleast be able to see the file..

also you could do "grep -i dhcp /etc/conf.d/net" to grep for all dhcp lines.

have you tried a "ping http://www.yahoo.com" or "traceroute http://www.yahoo.com"
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
rprockey
Linux User

Post by rprockey »

It is quite possible that mediacom's DHCP servers only give address leases to registered devices. If you have to provide your cable company your NIC's MAC address after an upgrade or device change than this is most likely the case. You can always call your ISP and ask to be sure that is the problem.

I don't know exactly the best way to spoof your computers MAC address from Gentoox, hopefully someone else can help you with that if that’s what is needed for testing your xbox's internet connection. I know that the original dashboard has an option to set a MAC address but this will not apply in Gentoox.
is it normal for people to just get onto the internet without making any changes (just plug it straight into the modem and go)?
ISPs are always trying to make setup and connection as easy as possible. Most broadband users can simply plug in, and go. In all honesty your customers ability to connect to the Internet is between them and their ISP. Gentoox is preconfigured to connect with most networks, if dhcp is available, it will ask for a dhcp address, if dhcp is not available, it will use a 192.168.1.13 address that works on the majority of home networks. Warning! DNS name resolution will not work if gentoox falls back to the 192.168.1.13 configuration.
R.P.Rockey
-----------------------------------------------------
Xbox v1.1 - x2.3Pro - 120g Barracuda
GentooX Pro v1.3 - Native Install
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »