xbox-remote for mythtv

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
hawg2k

xbox-remote for mythtv

Post by hawg2k »

I installed gentoox home using FATX (non native reiserfs) and emerged the mythtv package with "frontendonly" option.

Things are working pretty good. The one problem I'm having is the remote isn't doing what I want. There are a ton of posts about this all over shallax and the rest of the internet. Most of them talk about getting version 0.6.6 of lirc (which doesn't appear to be available at lirc.org).

My question is, with lircd not running why is my xbox remote working at all? It does some of the functions, but the first thing that's killing me is I can't get any button to send "escape" to bail out of something I'm watching etc.

I noticed that the Gentoo for xbox wiki (not gentoox) says that if your profile is set to xbox (which it should be) then lirc will compile the right driver and work just find. I did notice that gentoox doesn't have the profile set to an xbox profile. Is this a mistake, or by design.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some up to date help with getting this part working. I'm so close to having this thing set up the way I want.

Thanks,
hawg2k

Post by hawg2k »

I did make some headway with this. I loaded the lirc_dev and lirc_serial modules, and got a /dev/lirc/0 device file. I thought I was on my way, but after running

Code: Select all

lircd --nodaemon -d /dev/lirc/0
I kept getting the following errors after trying to run irw

/usr/sbin/lircd --nodaemon -d /dev/lirc/0
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: config file contains no valid remote control definition
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: lircd(serial) ready
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: accepted new client on /dev/lircd
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: could not open /dev/lirc/0
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: default_init(): Device or resource busy
lircd 0.7.0[2754]: caught signal
Terminated
Here's what my device files look like:

ll /dev/lircd
srw-rw-rw-  1 root root 0 Jul 16 15:54 /dev/lircd
$  ll /dev/lirc/0
crw-rw-rw-  1 root root 61, 0 Dec 31  1969 /dev/lirc/0
$
So, it would appear that there is no permissions issues. ?

Thanks,