Onscreen Keyboard Not Loading

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Chewonit64

Onscreen Keyboard Not Loading

Post by Chewonit64 »

Well anyway, I just installed Gentoox Pro 2.0 and when i get to the part where you have to login:

Pro Login:

I can't type because the onscreen keyboard doesn't load and I don't have an external keyboard or mouse hooked up. Any advice would be helpfull. I'm not a total noob but I just learning about Gentoox. Thanks.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

search about ssh or/and vnc on the forums (this way you can control from your pc)

Search about XServer. This way you will get a GUI login window.

But the big question is ... why do you need 'gentoox pro'. (if you want to learn linux) .. why not 'Gentoox Home' or 'MCE'
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I think sometimes the names are a bit confusing and aren't apparent enough to someone who doesn't RTFM before downloading =) Without knowing, one might thing that "pro" meant "normal + extra features" as it might in the pro versions of , most software. However, with GentooX, the "pro" version is for "professionals" that want a base to which they can add the specific features they want. Definitely not for the newb that doesn't know exactly what he wants =)

Just a suggesstion ShallaX, but maybe the description on the download page
"Description: The Pro Edition is definitely aimed at professionals and developers. It provides them with all the tools they need to develop their own, customised environment without any preinstalled junk that they might not need."
could be a little more clear that it's definitely not for beginners that don't want to have to add or customize it before doing the things they want.
Chewonit64

Post by Chewonit64 »

Well I have Home too. No, I don't have them both installed at the same time. I have them in folders and I swap them out depending one what I want to use. Neither of them seem to work properly. I had Linux on my computer (I forget which one) but I didn't use it as much as I thought I would so I deleted it. Any ideas about how to get it working with home?
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

Any ideas about how to get it working with home?
You dont need both, just plan on installing home and work your way.

read the manuals for home, and start what the manuals say.

if/when you run into problems, do a search on these forums and it should give you the solution. If you dont succeed then ask and someone should surely be able to help you.
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2