Gentoox Server

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
chrisb
Novice

Gentoox Server

Post by chrisb »

I hope someone can help me, I like to make my 2nd Xbox to a dedicated Gentoox server running Apache, PHP and a mail client.

I going to use the standart 10Gb HD, but how do I install Gentoox on the whole disk, or how do I make all the partisions to 1 large?
And can I undo the whole thing if I regread? I have a backup offcouse.
Do I need to flash a Linux boot on the SmartXX, it has a Linux boot option..

I hope someone can help me, or maybe post some links that could help me..
// ChrisB

Xboxes??? Gone Mac and gadget freak...
new Cellphone every month...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

It's possible to install gentoox 100% natively. You can search the forums for info on it:

viewtopic.php?t=2700&highlight=natively

However, there's other issues with it. It's not an easy one-command thing to do, and there's potential problems with magic and whatnot. If you wanted to restore your original setup, you'd have to use some other method to recreate the original HD structure and replace all your files. Look at X-S forums for that.

If you're going that far anyways, what I would do is just get a new bigger HD, install Gentoox to that one, and keep the 10gig as is. If you want to go back to your old settings, just pop the 10gig back in, no work required.
chrisb
Novice

hmm.. ok

Post by chrisb »

Ok.. thanks for the answer, Im putting in a new disk.. :D
// ChrisB

Xboxes??? Gone Mac and gadget freak...
new Cellphone every month...