I don't want to lose my system... Magic update from Home 3.2

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
inconsistency
Linux User

I don't want to lose my system... Magic update from Home 3.2

Post by inconsistency »

But I want to upgrade to the 2.6.x kernel

Is magic supposed to make this happen?

I got some message about how running magic could cause my system to become unusable, at which point I backed slowly away...
Magic wrote: !!THIS VERSION OF GENTOOX MAY NOT BE COMPATIBLE WITH MAGIC ANYMORE!!
!RUNNING MAGIC MAY CAUSE UNEXPECTED BEHAVIOUR OR EVEN A NON-BOOTING!
!SYSTEM, PRESS CTRL-C TO CANCEL, OR PRESS ENTER TO CONTINUE AT YOUR!
!! OWN RISK !!
Then I see
ShALLaX wrote:Post experiences here please.

Quick tip for successful upgrading:

Once Magic has finished, backup your ENTIRE E: partition, then format your E: partition, then transfer your backup back to E:. Then boot up and run `emerge mozilla-firefox`
Which seems pretty painless, especially in comparison to the !!!!!! message

Then I also see
ShALLaX wrote:The D-Pad doesnt work because of the way joymouse was coded.
Which, I think, means that I can't upgrade - the controller is the only way I have to control my Xbox. :cry:

Is this right, or am I misunderstanding the situation?
Last edited by inconsistency on Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Hmm...well I can't really answer your question about magic and upgrading, but if the d-pad doesn't work, you should still be able to use the analog stick.
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

the message about your version being outdated is because you run =>Pro1.5 or =>Home 3.2, that message is because shallax is(was really) compiling Home 4.0, just skip the message to update the kernel etc. via magic.

if you do want to run magic right now, follow this:

run magic
backup your ENTIRE E:
format E:
copy your files back
boot gentoox

joypad doesnt support the directional pad (digital pad) up/down/left/right, analog works fine however, you sould be fine with that.
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

Thanks Trevante!

Thanks, again, orochi!

Biting the bullet, now... :twisted:
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

Hmm...

Multiple failures :cry:

First of all, it crapped out because of a blocking issue with Mozilla-Thunderbird

"Fair enough", I thought, "I remember reading that I need to emerge Firefox after the upgrade".

So I emerge unmerge Mozilla, and re-run magic.

The script asks "Do you want xfce4". So, I thought this meant "Do you want to perform the available upgrade on xfce4"

Now, I'm wondering if the question is actually "Do you want to install xfce4 from scratch?" because I get an error telling me that

Code: Select all

03:35:38 (4.05 KB/s) - `xfce.b0x' saved [4367/4367]
This will install the XFCE windowmanager
emerge xfce4...
Calculating dependencies ...done!

!!! Error: the xfce-base/xfce4-base package conflicts with another package.
!!!        both can't be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

!! Emerge failed.

!! xfce patch failed.
 !! Check your network settings and try again.

!! Note the error(s) above then press enter to continue.  Submit the full
 !! error when posting a bug report.

Magic encountered the above error(s), please try again later.
So, I tried

emerge --pretend xfce4

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

[blocks B     ] xfce-base/xfce4-base (is blocking xfce-base/xfce4-4.2.0)
So, it looks like the current installation of xfce blocks the installation of the new version.

This makes a weird kinda sense...

Or am I totally misunderstanding what it is that I'm seeing?
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

Think before speak!! :P

I just tried

emerge --update xfce4 --pretend

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

[blocks B     ] xfce-base/xfce4-base (is blocking xfce-base/xfce4-4.2.0)
So, at least this makes more sense in relation to magic performing the maintenance of the system, in the first place.

But I'm extremely unaware why an early version of the software will prevent an update from being performed...surely, if this happens, every update will fail, since, by definition, an earlier version of the software exists??

I guess I'll have to

emerge unmerge xfce
before i re-run magic...

I'm just getting sick of the Xbox sitting there, constantly compiling...:?

I know that at least some people on the gentoo forums would have a heart-attack at this suggestion, but wouldn't it be possible for us to take advantage of the fact that we're all using a console, here?

By which I mean, we're all running the same hardware, in terms of processor, NIC, etc, we all have the same USE flags (or is this something you do/can change when installing the Pro version?)

Isn't it possible, in theory, to capture the compiled code, and host that somewhere.

Then we could update the mirrors list - if the pre-compiled code you need is there, easy + quick!! Otherwise, do the normal thing. (Download source, compile on your Xbox. Then zip this to upload somewhere?)

I mean, I imagine that this must be what's on the Gentoox install disk, right? Shallax's talking about compiling KDE for 60 hours, and how this doesn't affect anyone but him...

The initial Gentoox install didn't take as long as installing new packages does!!

I suppose the only way to actually make this happen would be to write an entirely new package distribution system, to deal with dependencies, etc...

Wait a minute! Magic is an entirely new package distrubution system!!! :twisted:

At the very least, it should somehow be possible for me to compile the Xbox code on my desktop PC?? (processor ~ 2.5x, RAM ~ 12x)
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

I can barely believe it, but it actually <i>worked</i>!!

I had to

emerge unmerge xfce-base/xfce4-base
to get it to work, but:

uname -a
Linux Xbox 2.6.11.4-xbox-Gentoox #1 Mon Apr 25 08:36:06 BST 2005 i686 Celeron (Coppermine) GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
:D :D :D
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

Since this conversation is going so swimmingly, I'll continue it! :lol:

I suppose I should have realized that what's occurred to a n00b had already been thought of many times, before :P

I've discovered that Portage includes BINHOSTS, which is exactly what I was talking about in regards pre-built packages...

I need to find more information about how to <i>get</i> the package after it's built...

It's my intention to have a few more Xboxes in future...I'm in no position to host these packages for <i>all</i> the Gentoox users! :P

And, as for my other question, compiling packages on my desktop, this also seems to be doable, I found some information about <b>distccd</b>, which allows distributed compilation! :D

Looks like it might be 'goodbye' to Ubuntu on my laptop - though, perhaps, not all the distccd servers need to be Gentoo boxes??

Hmm...more research needed.

This thread is turning into my own blog, it seems!!
B4tm4n

Post by B4tm4n »

I`ve installed natively on my F drive and for the last past few weeks of installing and running magic then reinstalling and running magic ,I`d just about given up. I was getting the same errors as you. Being a noob I didn`t know what to do untill I read your posts. Now I`ve successfuly upgraded my kernel using your helpful advice.
The only think I`ve still got to do is emerge mozilla.

Thank you B4tm4n.
inconsistency
Linux User

Post by inconsistency »

:lol:

Obviously, I haven't been here for over a week, but I'm very glad that my experience helped you :D

It was a good thing that I kept going with my blog :lol: