Is it worth it??

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
JungMin

Is it worth it??

Post by JungMin »

I can honestly say i know nuthin about linux. I am fairly new to my modded xbox.

I am trying to decide whether to install Gentoox. From reading the forums, I can install it onto my 'E' drive and have it not affect anything else (programs, game backups, my 'F' drive). And my EvoX dashboard should work fine - I think i can just add an option to load GentooX whenever i want to use it.

BUT..............alot of people have problems it looks like!!!! 90% of them i dont have a clue what they are talking about!!! I dunno if I will be able to fix them if something comes up. I am extremely familiar with windows, but like i said, know nuthing about linux.

Should I take the chance and try it out??? Is it worth it??....I dont wanna fry my xbox.

What do ya think??
JungMin

Post by JungMin »

I am getting confused.....Getting tired too - maybe thats it. But this has me confused....
d34thr3c0n wrote:ok... i just downloaded the home edition and was wondering which installation method i should use. I DO want to KEEP EVERYTHING that is on my drive(C,E, and F)! would i use the E or F install... or would it be best to use the FTP install
Keep in mind that i want to keep everything. which install would not format my drives?
ShALLaX wrote:You can select either E, F or do FTP. None of these will wipe out your drive.
These make sence from what I have read.....BUT......
arbillman wrote:I have a modded xbox with 120GB of storage (F:\) which is about 50% free. I am using Evolution X for my dashboard.

I am intrigued by this software, specifically the Media Center Edition, but I am not sure how to install it. I currently have by xbox running great as is, and I do not want to change my setup. Is it possible to simply copy this thing into a subfolder on F:\ and kick it off from the Dashboard in the same manner i might start other applications?
Trevante wrote:You can install home and pro w/o changing your setup, but I believe the MCE requires you to flash your modchip/tsop with the Gentoox loader, and formats your F and/or G drives.
I definitely dont want to do either of those......i dont think ;) I'm sorry if I am blantant in my understanding....but these things seem to be contradicting????
gasranas
Linux User

Post by gasranas »

Gentoox and MCE are different products. If you want to learn linux, you want gentoox, so you can forget MCE (and hence the 2nd set of 2 quotes you pasted)

I've been using gentoox for nearly 2 years now. There seems to be some confusion regarding magic (hence my post earlier on here). I just can't seem to get it working. Not sure if others are struggling too.

HOWEVER - this is the first time in the 2 years that I have had any problems with gentoox that wern't by own stupid fault (not reading docs etc)

Installing gentoox VIA FTP onto your E drive: (http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... e&artid=59)

If done correctly should do nothing to your xbox, e drive or f drive apart from losing you several gbs of space.

But like I said, now is prolly not a good time to try, with the problems with magic, because updating will be difficult. Probably best to wait for ShALLaX to release Home 4.0.

Gas.
JungMin

Post by JungMin »

Sweet.....thanks dude. I'lll wait for 4.0 and then give it a try.