Have I to format my xbox disk ?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
omgtester

Have I to format my xbox disk ?

Post by omgtester »

hi,

I got a lot of games on my F:\ and I dont want to burn these but I also want to install Gentoox for testing some things.
The FAQ is saying:

· Will Gentoox destroy my hard drive and stop me from storing games on F?
No! It's totally safe - no data is ever lost (Unless you do something stupid).

And the install.txt says:

Gentoox requires a standard Xbox formatted hard disk. Do not worry if you don't have this
as Stardust gives you the option of formatting your current hard disk to the original
Xbox specification.

Now I'm a little bit confused :/
Have I to format my Xbox HDD to install Gentoox ?
I got the iND-Bios, have I to flash the Gentoox Bios to use it ?
Can I start GEntoox via EvoX ?
Will Gentoox delete all my apps, games etc on the Xbox HDD ? (Drive C:,E:,F:etc ?)

thanx a lot
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

It's saying that if your Xbox HDD isn't already formatted to FATX partitions, it'll do that for you. You don't need to worry about that. Just choose the E or F options for your install and it'll keep all your files intact. Just don't choose native, it'll format your F drive.
omgtester

Post by omgtester »

oke thanx !
I tried to install it from FTP
(I tranfsered all files to E:, only rootfs & swap is on the F: Drive)
When I start FatX its always saying Kernel Panic: Kill init ....

I burned the Image on a DVDRW Disc, but its always saying its not a xbox disc :[
All my others disc are working
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Well you need to put the rootfs and the swap file on E :roll: Load gentoox to make sure it works, then use resctoox to move the rootfs and the swap file to the F drive.
SNYP40A1

Post by SNYP40A1 »

Hey guys,
Does anyone know how to run the format utility in Gentoox? I installed Xebian and I think it changed the file system to something else. I don't see the E:/, F:/ etc. drives anymore in Xebian, I only see the "/". I also get a FatX error when I try to install Gentoox. But I was never prompted to format the hard drive. What is the easiest way to format my HD back to Fatx so that I can install Gentoox?
orochi
Gentoox Guru!

Post by orochi »

i would reccomend against formatting in linux to fatx partitions, atm fatx is buggy, checkout x-s.com for a guide on formatting via ftp (even with illegal dashes too, but seek their forums for help on that one)