N00b mistake, black screen == screen saver

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
ShAnnex
Linux User

N00b mistake, black screen == screen saver

Post by ShAnnex »

I thought I'd share a mistake I made the other day with you.
Maybe other can learn from it.

It's ok to laugh, I deserve that for making this mistake after 15 odd years working with computers :)

I installed Gentoox on my xbox (was a breeze after using a good DVD).
Opened up a console and ran magic.
After a while I saw that the screen was black, although the xbox still seemed to be busy.
I thought it was a display problem so I ssh-ed into the box and ran xbvset, after wich the box resetted.

From then on only the boot screen would appear and the screen would go black after that.

So yesterday I gave it another try; installed Gentoox again, opened a console and ran magic.
And sure enough; after a while the screen had gone black again.
As the light was still indicating it was processing soemthing I waited some more and finally ssh-ed in and checked what processes were running.
Indeed the box was still very busy with gcc-lib's etc.

Some hours later I took another look at the box, but it still gave a black screen.

And then, I had a moment of inspiration and hit a cursor key on the keyboard, et voila; the screen came back on showing the update in full progress.

The black screen I had been looking at and thinking was a display problem, just had been the screen-saver that had kicked in.

I felt sooo stupid, but at the same time was happy that there wasn't really a problem :)

HTH,

Anne.

PS Shallax; Get well soon, sounds like a horrible ordeal your going through.
evilxbox

Post by evilxbox »

thx your tutorial helped me bigtime :lol: