im so stupid (and new)

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
zegita

im so stupid (and new)

Post by zegita »

hi im quite new. i dont know so much about gentoox. is it a mediacenter? is it some cind of a linux to xbox? if it is linux can i use it as an apps on evox? can i use it without a keyboard? is it free? where do i get it? :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I think you should actually do some reading of your own rather than just asking stuff thats been answered time and time again. Click the "Back to Gentoox" button then read the manuals.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
zegita

Post by zegita »

i still cant find so much info. about what it is but.... ahhhh what the heck im just gonna install it.
jahme
Banned Losers

Post by jahme »

just read the manual...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats rich comming from you ;o
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

I think zegita is on the wind up because if he found this forum, he can find the download page and the manual page....
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Exactly.
AK 47
Linux User

Post by AK 47 »

Sorry to dis the newbies, but they always ask for help, then when you say read the info they say its too much.

Here is my opinion Gentoox is quite set up for the needs of an average user. Gentoo has over 30 docs on there own page, because gentoo isn't set up exactly for your PC. Which mean's you have to format partitions and mount them, compile your own kernel to suit it, install drivers like ati and nvidia which can be a pain sometimes, and configure all you configuration files. So thank Shallax for making it easy

So next time you want to ask a question look through the manuals, then look through the forums, and if that doesn't work google it. Because the majority of the time someone already has a fix the problem you have fix and is already shared on the net.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Amen!
zegita

Post by zegita »

okay now i figured out what gentoox is. BUT WHAT THE HELL IS THE DAMN MEDIA CENTER! stupido manual. ghadlfkjasdklfjakdljfafkalksdjfakl :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

Well it took you two days to figure out what gentoox is! lets see how long it takes you to figure this one out, I'll give you some help http://www.xboxmediacenter.com

Let the guy's over at XBMC 'help' him out...
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
zegita

gentoox media center

Post by zegita »

okay okay i knew what a media center was but do you use it on gentoox or on your xbox.
vplayer

Post by vplayer »

hahaha

you need to go back and read what gentoox really is...
but do you use it on gentoox or on your xbox
hmm Maybe gentoox is the next version of xbox..

Seriously... You could be stupid or new, basic rules dont use caps. I can understand if you have a keyboard with caps lock broken, but that still doesnt give you a reason to type that way. It show your not only stupid, new but also rude. No one will help you with that attitude, everyone here look for help and everyone here look forward to help people who are new and try to learn something.
But then there are some people who think its their right to get everything their way.. and to tell you the truth I dont think you would go very far with that attitude.

Now that you read all the above..

Answer one question. Why do you want gentoox on your xbox.
MCE - is media center that runs on linux.
XBMC - is media center dashboard that runs like the Evox dashboard.
Mediacenter PC - Is a windows based pc with Media center applications
xbox - is a pc that runs crappy M$ code
Box: XBOX ver 1.1
Mod: Xecutor 2.3 lite+
Hdd: WD 80GB
Dash: Evox, Ava, XBMC
Linux: Gentoox Pro 4.2
ShAnnex
Linux User

Post by ShAnnex »

Although I agree that zegita's forum skills leave something to be desired, to h/is/er defence I must say that the subject seems to be well chosen.

Having said that, I do agree that the Gentoox homepage or the FAQ could do with a 'What is Gentoox' link somewhere at the top.
Currently only 'The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo' gives a hint of what Gentoox is and what you might be able to do with it.

I guess I'm now commiting a sin against forum-rules also by placing this message here and not in the request forum :)

Anne.
[Fairly new to xboxes, totally new to installing linux-like OS's]
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The information you are after is on the front page. Only problem with it is that it is at the bottom, after the news items. Maybe Shallax could move that block to the top.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?