help - password needed on booting

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
smanky

help - password needed on booting

Post by smanky »

So I installed gentoox on E: via ftp. The first time I run it, all is fine. It just logs me in automatically. Then I go to the "shut down" menu item, or I type "halt" in the terminal and it shuts down. The next time it boots, it goes

Code: Select all

Starting X..... Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address cb7aaad
followed by a bunch of garble hex addresses. Then it says

Code: Select all

This is Xbox. (none) (Linux 1686 2.4.22 xbox) 06:56:51

Xbox Login: []

well since I'm using the control pad I can't type a login.

Is the system supposed to do this? How do I disable it to just boot at startup?

After this happened the first time, I ran sparkle and it fixed the problem. But when I shut down linux after that and rebooted, it is still doing the same thing.

Any help would be appreciated.

[edit - I just shut down my box and restarted gentoox without running sparkle and now it logs in fine... why is this?]

[edit again - now it's giving me some weird with a box that says client list, session log, checkpoint, shutdown... what is this and how to I go back to regular xfce?]
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I think you have fubarred your filesystem by improperly shutting down. You can try to fix it by running "magic fix displaytools && magic" ... or you can reinstall which would probably be the safer bet.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
smanky

Post by smanky »

Thanks for the advice. It seems to be working fine now, but if that ever happens again, I'll run the magic commands.
RonGDog

help pleasezzz

Post by RonGDog »

I installed gentoox..
Everytime I go to run gentoox..it go through all the process checking if everything is ok..but it asked for this

Xbox login:
Xbox password:

Which is root:xbox, after I type this in this show up in red..

Xbox-:o
everytime i type something in this show up

-bash:o: command not found

help pleasze
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Thats it. You're logged in. I'm assuming you've installed Pro when really you wanted Home edition. Only Home edition comes with a GUI.
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
ERK

Post by ERK »

yeah, im having the same problem as rongdog. I had home 5.0 and it booted to the regular screen just fine. I then installed 6.0 and it stays on the boot up screen and ask for xbox login. I can login but it wont go to the regular screen. It just displays -bash:o: and lets me run commands. What do I do to get to the regular screen with the taskbar and everything?