Graphical SSH instead of putty

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
kopibean
Adept

Graphical SSH instead of putty

Post by kopibean »

Hi, are there any graphical ssh client that we can use in WinXP to connect to GentooX? Something similar to Terminal Service in windows would be perfect? Anyone has any idea?
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

You could use VNC..
And i think theres some X --> SSH forwarding, although i don't know howto configure that as iwe never needed to do it :)
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Graphical Secure Shell.. kind of a contradiction in terms ;p
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, I am pretty confused with the graphical secure shell stuff. Does the graphical secure shell provides features similar to what Terminal Services or Citrix metaFrame client offers in the windows world? And secondly, is there any freeware graphical secure client to recommend? Thanks.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

SSH is nothing more than a shell... like running cmd.exe on a Windows machine. PuTTY is a great free application for this.
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi, think a bit miscomm here. I am currently using PuTTy to connect to my xbox, however it is only command line shell. I would like to be able to connect to my XBox 'graphically' (ie. like the XWindow XFCE desktop) remotely from my Windows XP. Is there any free application that can allow me to do that? Thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

as taily already said, VNC is your friend, Grab it from http://www.realvnc.com.

on a side note metaframe is not limited to Windows, there are both clients and servers for unix systems.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Thank nobspangle for the tips, I have successfully download the VNC and installed in my Gentoox and it's working REAL GOOD now :)

One question though, do you know how can I make it to autostart under Gentoox user account? I have tried created a "vncserver" file which contains the following line:

/bin/su gentoox -c "/usr/local/bin/vncserver :1"

and added it to the "/etc/init.d and do a rc-update -add vncserver. However it doesn't seem to autostart when Gentoox is rebooted. Any advise? Thanks.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

There should be a vnc running already that mirrors what you see on the screen, it's on display 0
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yep, I dont know why people dont read the manual :( I go to all the trouble to include this stuff already heh...
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Oh, thanks for the info. I am now able to connect display :0 using the VNC. I have read through the manual during installation but think I may have overlooked the section containing this piece of info. :)
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi Shallox, thanks for the effort to put in the VNC as part of the Home 3.1 :) It's help alot in term of managing the XBox especially when I still do not have a keyboard attached to my XBox.

There is one problem though, the web VNC doesn't seem to work. I tried connecting via http://xbox_ip:5800 but it cannot connect using the Web interface whereas it's work fine using the Windows VNC Viewer. Any advice as how can I fix this problem?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Odd... works fine here - maybe the java vm installation on your PC is messed up. Also, please dont tell me you are LITERALLY going to http://xbox_ip:5800
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi Shallax, not literally http://xbox_ip:5800 but using the IP of my xbox instead (ie. http://10.0.1.1:5800) :) if my JVM is messed up, is there anyway that I can restore it? Will running magic help in this case?
kopibean
Adept

Post by kopibean »

Hi Shallax, sorry I think I have misread your response. The JVM on my pc should be working fine as I have visited several website that required JVM and they are working well. But when I tried to access the VNC through web, it returned me an error "The Page cannot be displayed". Is there any other possible cause for the error?