[help] using a server\ICS w\ problems.

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
leach

[help] using a server\ICS w\ problems.

Post by leach »

Hey guys, i'm looking into replacing my celeron 400 that is used for Download from emule/FTP and to share my adsl (via windows xp ICS). I would like to replace it with my xbox however i havea few questions.

Is there a ICS in gentoox? like i'm able to share my adsl to my other main computer and be able to run apps like emule and ftp server software.

Pluggin my Adsl usb modem? If i do the controller USB mod can i use it , will i need to find linux drivers for my modem? it's a D-Link.

*PROBLEM* My network is damage/fried on my xbox, if i did another USB controller mod and bought a USB to 10/100 will that work on linux and can be used as the network device. yeah it seems kinda funky but i wish it would solve my problem.

Thank you so much.
leach

Post by leach »

update*

my modem D-link-302G
"• Support 2 Computers Simultaneously"

this is by using one throughethernet and one through usb. if only my xbox network wasen't screwed i could use that feature. so maybe i can use the USB mod now for modem (via usb) and connecting the pc with ethernet ?
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

I use my xbox as an router
So basically i have the xboxes built in netword card to a lan hub, which all my other computers are connected to
and my usb adapter to to my adsl modem (i don't trust it :D, so if anything goes wrong the built in one shouldn't fail, i can then ssh in still :))

To get my usb adapter to work, i basically just took one of the controller racks, ripped of the metal and desoldered the wires from the controller port, then i soldered them onto a usb hub and then i just connect my usb adapter to it.

I forward the traffic throught iptables, thus creating what you would call "ICS" in XP. And i allso run a dhcp server (+apache, ftp, samba etc..)