mounting samba shares

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
generaltso88

mounting samba shares

Post by generaltso88 »

im an almost complete linux newb. I just installed gentoox and want to listen to music on my windows machine, but i have no way to browse it except through konqueror. I have searched various forums for days and i still cant do it.

I tried

root: mount -t smbfs //192.168.0.2/ /root/mnt

Any help would be greatly appreciate. thanks. :D
lotw
Pro

Re: mounting samba shares

Post by lotw »

generaltso88 wrote:im an almost complete linux newb. I just installed gentoox and want to listen to music on my windows machine, but i have no way to browse it except through konqueror. I have searched various forums for days and i still cant do it.

I tried

Any help would be greatly appreciate. thanks. :D
If you have Webmin running, just log onto that and go to the servers section, you will see Samba there and you can easlity setup directories to share from there. I use the Pro version without the Graphics garbage, since it is just a server and that webmin works great for just about everything.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Re: mounting samba shares

Post by nobspangle »

generaltso88 wrote:I tried

You are almost there

first you need to make the mount point then you are missing the name of your share on your windows PC, also a username and password usually help try

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/music
mount -t smbfs -o username=<user> //192.168.0.2/share /mnt/music
replace <user> with you windows username and share with the name of the share that you use for your music.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
generaltso88

Post by generaltso88 »

Thanks for all of your help, but i did work it out myself by research. Im an idiot because i changed my workgroup on the xp box to something else than workgroup. So i just changed the smb.conf line and it mounted fine. :D
SnAtcH
Linux User

webmin

Post by SnAtcH »

you should use webmin idd ;) it's THE perfect help system for newbies :)