Stuck at installing "phpBB "

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
sharon
Novice

Stuck at installing "phpBB "

Post by sharon »

Hi,
I am following one of the guides in the Forum (viewtopic.php?t=1423&highlight=phpbb+masked) or installation and configuration and here are the results:

1. Configuring Mysql----successful
2. Configuring Samba----successful
3. Configuring Apache2-----successful

Now i am on the last two and I am stuck at installing "phpBB"

I used the code as was on the guide in my x terminal:

Code:
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" emerge phpBB

I can't see anythyng happenning to say that something is going on. The command prompt had changed from "Xbox root #" to just '>'.

I can see network traffic in my taskbar.

Can anyone tell me what is happenning?

or is there an easier way to achieve the results.

Thank you.
sharon
Novice

Post by sharon »

I tried again...it worked through 'putty'. When I was using vnc my keyboard couldn't specify this command '~'. Putty worked fine....and it is great.

I get to the installation page for phbb at:
http://192.168.0.4/phpBB/install/install.php

I type in all the fields after searching for instructions here and I get the following error.

""Warning: mysql_connect(): Lost connection to MySQL server during query in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpBB/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpBB/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /var/www/localhost/htdocs/phpBB/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database ""

Prior to that I used webmin to go to Mysql and could not find the database "phpbb".......i wasn't able to create it in the xterminal.

I created a database without tables (i did not know what i should put in the fields) in webmin. I was able to create a table 'phpbb'

then I went to the phpbb installation page and I get the above errors.

Not able to pass beyond this level...no matter how high I jump I am at the same level.

Can someone suggest what i should try next to do a proper installation of phpbb.

Thank you :D
jledhead
Linux User

Post by jledhead »

using webmin (or command line, your preference) create a user in mysql. then give that user permissions on the phpbb db.

or you can install phpmyadmin. its very good for administering an SQL database.