EnRoute...Setting Up a Website

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
sharon
Novice

EnRoute...Setting Up a Website

Post by sharon »

Dear Floks,
I have a windows PC with Frontpage Installed. I created a page and got it into the xbox folder "//Xbox/var/www/localhost/htdocs". The page comes up fine. I use gentoox as a username and a new password to connect to xbox and it is successfull (read and write in the above folder). Now the problem is..

1. I don't know how to administer the site if I make a guest feedback page or a discussion forum for my friends.

2. I tried connecting (FTP) through Frontpage with Remote website to synchronize, but it says the folder "//Xbox/var/www/localhost/htdocs" doesn't exist.....can't create too.

I have went through the setting up Apache tut and finished it successfully. I am not sure what else I have to install in my xbox or my computer to get a site up with a discussion forum.

Thank you in advance.
jledhead
Linux User

Post by jledhead »

I would suggest,
get PHP working with apache so you can serve up PHP pages, and then get http://www.phpbb.com for your message board.

also, for administering Apache, if you would rather not hand edit the config files, use webmin, it does a nice job of administering PHP. if the frontpage ftp isn't working, try to save it local to your computer and ftp over yourself