Newbie doesn't even HAVE an XBox (yet?)!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
fryfrog

Newbie doesn't even HAVE an XBox (yet?)!

Post by fryfrog »

I have to pre-face this by pointing out the topic and repeating that I don't have an XBox at all and I don't have any friends that have done in depth alteration to it. My questions are probably simple and I am pretty sure they are stupid too :)

If there is someplace I can read about what I am asking, I am happy to have it pointed out... but I just have not run accross it in the searching I have done. Perhaps because I simply don't know what to look for.

1) I assume that you need a mod chip for the xbox in order to use any linux distro on it. I've read that there are a few different types, I don't mind reading more too.

2) Once you install GentooX, can you still play Xbox games?

3) How do these "dashboards" and things like that work? :)

Overall, my plan is quite related to MythTV. I would like to build a "server" system with perhaps a couple cable tuners and a couple HDTV tuners.

I would like to use the XBox as a front end, right now for a pretty crappy TV but perhaps in the future for a widescreen HDTV. Seems like the XBox has been suggested to be a good solution for this. I would also like to be able to play xbox games.

I'm sure this would all be solved by actually finding someone with an XBox and visiting with em :)
classybum
Linux User

Post by classybum »

check out http://www.xbox-scene.com

they will have more info than you could possibly need, or point you to where the info you need can be found.