Remote Desktoping

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jah_99

Remote Desktoping

Post by jah_99 »

I have tried to acsess linux on my xbox by remore desktop. but i cant seem to get it right. i read the read me file but still can not get it. i entered my ip address to the xbox ..but it still dosent connect.
can someone please help me
:roll:
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you don't use remote desktop, that is for Windows only. You use vnc http://www.realvnc.com
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
shinomen
Linux User

Post by shinomen »

Is there an app for gentoox that allows you to remote desktop into a machine running windows xp that has remote desktop enabled?
jledhead
Linux User

Post by jledhead »

I believe rdesktop will do it.

I have not tried it with XP remote desktop exactly.
I have used XP remote desktop to connect to terminal services on 2000 server, and I have also used rdesktop (on redhat) to connect to the same terminal service, so I would imagine it would work
$kunk

Post by $kunk »

I think rdesktop will do it, but it's not what I use.

Install TightVNC on your PC from here. Make sure you install the sever, and ideally run it as a service. You can then use the VNC viewer to connect to your Xbox. To connect to the PC, run 'vncviewer' from the terminal on the Xbox. It'll then ask for an IP - so type in your PCs. If it connects, it should ask for a password. Use the one you configured when you first installed the server and you're away!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any problems.
Xbox: Xecuter 2.3b Lite | Xecuter BIOS | Avalaunch as primary dash | eVox as secondary Dash | Maxtor +9 120Gb 7200rpm 8Mb Cache | Gentoox Home
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I wouldn't bother with vnc, if you have XP Pro you may as well use those extra features you (hopefully) paid all that money for. rdesktop works very well with any RDP server including, NT 4.0 TSE, 2Kserver, server 2k3 and windows XP.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?