does gentoox work with a softmodded xbox?

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
mdplayer82

does gentoox work with a softmodded xbox?

Post by mdplayer82 »

I just installed the emergency linux from the MA exploit using the phantasy star usb adapter. Now how do I install Gentoox so that becomes my distro when i select linux from the xbox dash?

I already burned the gentoox distro on to a cdr and a cdrw but both doesn't boots up...

I have a samsung drive (2 holes) which should have no probs reading cdr and rws...
mdplayer82

Post by mdplayer82 »

The answer is no. I found it in the general forum.
dapol

Post by dapol »

To answer your question. Yes Gentoox does run on a soft modded xbox. I have a Xbox 1.6 soft modded running gentoox. Everything works fine and I currently have it running in xfce4. The only issue im running into at the moment is getting the screen size to fit properly on my screen.
myke_chipser

yes it does

Post by myke_chipser »

my xbox is softmoded and it works fine i am running unleashx as the dash but had to make a link to the gentooxx.xbe on my dashboard

Myke
britishseapower
Novice

Post by britishseapower »

I have this situation also...gentoo running fine from a dash board link (in evox to E:\gentooxx.xbe)...Its a softmodded v1.6.

I want evox to auto load this link...how can i achieve this?

Can I just copy gentooxx.xbe to C: and rename to evoxdash.xbe <-- I don't think so?
britishseapower
Novice

bump.

Anyone...I'd really like to get rid of the controller i have hanging outof port 1...all i do with this is press the green button to launch gentooxx from evox after a reboot.
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

AFAIK, there's no way for that dash to autorun anything. Just do a little research about the softmod installer you used and where it installed the files to. This will tell you which files to replace or which files to edit to have Gentoox load on bootup.

I managed to do this on my softmodded Xbox (on the stock HDD) and it works fine, but I did softmod manually, and I new which files to edit and replace.

Btw, if you want to get rid of that controller, then use a keyboard ;-)
britishseapower
Novice

hi trevante,

i'm pretty sure i know that the softmod laucnhes an exploit and THEN luanches a file called evoxdash.xbe....BUT....what i need to know is ...if rename gentooxx.xbe to evoxdash.xbe and place it on C: will it still boot my E: ftp install of gentoox?

and shall i copy it or move it?

bsp
britishseapower
Novice

*bump*

anyone....I`m delighted with my LAMP gentoox system...its working flawlessly! Only fly in the ointment is automatic startup....(still ive got uptime of 7 days already.)
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

No, you can't just move gentooxx.xbe to C.

EDIT: First, make sure you have a backup of your eeprom. If you don't already, go to system utils>backup. Ftp into your Xbox and look for the backup folder with 5 files in it. Ftp that folder to your computer and make sure you never lose it.

If you can find the default.xbe that your softmod loads (or whatever xbe file it loads), then simply replace that default.xbe file with this. It is nkpatcher10, which is a kernel patcher. I edited it to load E:\gentooxx.xbe (which is where your gentoox loader should be).

If all is done properly, Gentoox should load up automatically when you turn on your Xbox.
britishseapower
Novice

Trevante...that is fantastic, and very clear.

I`m away from my box at the moment, but I will have a go at this over the weekend..I note remarks re backup and ensuring I have the eeprom.

Fingers crossed..will report back.

ta

bsp
britishseapower
Novice

ok, well i tried it...no work.

I followed your instructions to the letter, particularly paying attention to the backup of my eeprom, got it safe and sound. I tried the nkpatcher as a replacement of my existing file (first loaded xbe file) but no good..just hung on xbox logo screen.

I decided to retreat for now. Got ftp back (via cd tray button)...ftpd in and swapped over the files again...and no drama...back to where i started...can boot gentoox from the ev*x menu.. <sigh>.

Just to double check..is your nkpatcher patched to launch for e:\gentooxx.xbe already? (i opened it with a hex editor and it seemed to be).

Any more tips?
Trevante
Power user

Post by Trevante »

Yea, it's set to load e:\gentooxx.xbe. It worked fine on my Xbox. I'll try to find out more info about this SID and see where it puts the files so I know which one to replace.
britishseapower
Novice

Great, thanks, much appreciatted.
I can only think that i am replacing the wrong file with the nkpatcher.xbe file.
I can confirm that my gentooxx.xbe is in the root of E: (did an ftp install of pro to E: as per the guide).
britishseapower
Novice

1.2 - Booting

If you have a flashable TSOP or modchip, you can tell the installer to flash it with a modified Cromwell BIOS for Gentoox. This BIOS will make Gentoox autoboot each time the Xbox is turned on (after a 10 second delay or when you press the 'A' button on your Xpad). Gentoox is launched by selecting the left 'HDD' icon. Again, this BIOS only takes up 256K so you can still have other BIOSes on a 1MB chip. If you have a 256k modchip and later decide you no longer want this BIOS, you can reflash it from within Gentoox using raincoat. You should never get stuck with just Linux on your Xbox.

You can also boot up Gentoox with this Stardust CD (put it in the drive, then select the left hand icon when it appears).

If you cannot use the BIOS solution, you can launch Gentoox by running:

"E:gentooxx.xbe"

Again, this works with font hacks (needs signing first!!!)

-----------

Again, this works with font hacks (needs signing first!!!)

could that be my problem?