Alot of really n00bie questions

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
mckenn88

Alot of really n00bie questions

Post by mckenn88 »

ok i got alota ?'s. here goes... is linux more like windows or DOS? Can you have your xbox boot to evox first and then go to linux from there, like an app? do you need a keyboard or a mouse? if you need them do you plug one in one controller port and one in the other or do you need a usb hub? can you fit linux and some basic programs on the hd?
people arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, whoever wins is still a retard.
gasranas
Linux User

Post by gasranas »

hi,

dos
yes
no
you need usb hub
yes

:)

If you need to know how to do any of the above, reply, and we will see if we can sort you out.

Gas
mckenn88

Post by mckenn88 »

all i pretty much want to have it on there for is to go on the internet and check my email n stuff. in my last question i meant to say will it fit on the stock hard drive. does anyone know of somewhere where they sell just the breakaway part for the controller, the little 2 inch part. thanks :lol:
people arguing on the internet is like the special olympics, whoever wins is still a retard.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I disagree with gasranas. True, Linux is not designed around a gui, but, unlike dos, it is 32-bit, pre-emptable, etc.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
mckenn88

Post by mckenn88 »

what i really meant was do you have to type commands or click on stuff on the screen. thx
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

mckenn88 wrote:what i really meant was do you have to type commands or click on stuff on the screen. thx
Whatever you want. *nix-type OSes are modular, so the kernel is entirely separate from the shell, separate from the GUI. You can just use a shell if you want, or use a GUI if you want.

gasranas
Linux User

Post by gasranas »

I agree with Trogdor too :)

I was just trying to illustrate to newbies. To newbies, Linux will appear more like DOS/Windows 3.11, we all know that is an illusion, but hey ;)

Gas.
mckenn88

Post by mckenn88 »

hey i just got mini-linux as an app off this installer. is there any way that i could use this to run IE? also am i allowed to ask where to get programs such as IE on this forum? thanks
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Hmm . . . where to get IE . . . hmmmm . . . it's a free [beer] product distributed by the vendor, so you could try Microsoft's web site. You will need Wine or VMWare or something to run IE under Linux. And also, IE totally sucks from a technical point of view, so I suggest using Konqueror or Mozilla/Firefox, the latest versions of which both adhere, at least partially, to CSS 3. MSIE doesn't even adhere well to CSS 1!

A note to all: please don't use MSIE. It makes web development a nightmare due to its botched standards. Anyways, who wants to use a browser that hasn't got any new features for four years?

nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Trogdor wrote:Anyways, who wants to use a browser that hasn't got any new features for four years?
Come on that's unfair XP SP2 has added a pop-up stopper :D
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mckenn88

Post by mckenn88 »

ok dude now ur gonna have to tone it down to like 5yr old talk. i got the linux installer for mozilla on my computer. whta do i do with it. where do i put it. i have the gentoox home that i ftp installed to my E:/ cause i still have the stock hdd. will mozilla and gentoox both fit on the stock 8gb hd?????
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

nobspangle wrote:
Trogdor wrote:Anyways, who wants to use a browser that hasn't got any new features for four years?
Come on that's unfair XP SP2 has added a pop-up stopper :D
OMGWTFBBQ!!! MICROSOFT RULEZ BECAUSE TEHY JUST UPGRADED TEH INTERNET!!!!1~oneoen!eleven

nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

gentoox home will already have mozilla installed.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
mckenn88

Post by mckenn88 »

how do i install lilke gaim or something
lotw
Pro

Post by lotw »

mckenn88 wrote:how do i install lilke gaim or something
The Home version of Gentoox already has GAIM installed.