/root/patches: /root/patches: No such file or directory

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Y

Post by Y »

hi..

ive put my gentoox distro on my e:.. ive started up gentoox.. gargled garbled what you want to call it.. so ok.. i need focus support.. i ssh'ed to my xbox.. got in.. ran magic.. and i wait for a while.. and then it gives me this line:

reinstalled.. and it still gives me this line..
i can ping google from my xbox via ssh.. so i have internet connection..

but what am i doing wrong here.. do i need to edit some files or something.. plz help cuz i would really like to get linux running on my xbox..
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Do this while logged in as root:

Code: Select all

# mkdir /root/patches
Where "# " (sans quotation marks) is the shell prompt.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Y

Post by Y »

ive tried that..

but when i run magic it deletes that dir. (or it moves it to from /root/patches to /patches because i found a patches dir that i didnt see there before.)
and it gives me the same error message as before.

something i do know is that i have slight dns problems.. i found out that pinging http://www.google.com DIDNT work but pinging its ip does work..

ive also had some problem with, what seems to me, transfer speed problems.. typing in commands takes a long time to show on my putty screen. is there any way to improve that because its not very productive to have to re-ssh to my box every 2 minutes.. ftping to my box does work.. and works nicely..
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

Assuming you're using a router... Try manually entering your ISPs DNS servers. Come to think of it... Try that anyway even if you're using a modem! You can get the settings off your ISPs site in support.

As for the slowness of SSH-ing... Haven't got a clue sorry... Maybe someone else can help?

Pobster
Y

Post by Y »

well not really using a router just a pc with 2 nics.

als for trying to enter my dns' manually i dont know where to put them in manually. i have to that on my box somewhere.. but i dont know where..
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

they go in /etc/resolv.conf check the network tutorial for more info
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

*smacks trogdor* thats not what you do.... /root/patches is a script that gets downloaded >.>
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

ShALLaX wrote:*smacks trogdor* thats not what you do.... /root/patches is a script that gets downloaded >.>
Heh heh.
The first person who offers to help you is really just trying to fsck with you for entertainment. So is the second. And the third. And me.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Y

Post by Y »

ok would someone give me some advise that isnt for entertainment purposes..

isnt this supposed to be the newbie section.. where someone could get some leeway with their questions..
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I suggest looking through the network tutorial. And I have to apologise for Trogdor's behaviour. You're right, this is meant to be an anti-flaming pro-helping discussion board.
Y

Post by Y »

thnx shallax.. the fact that /root/patches is not a directory on my xbox, but a script that gets downloaded makes things a lot clearer for me..
psutherby
Linux User

Post by psutherby »

I use BT Openworld and have a problem running Magic.

I can connect to the web through konquerer, and can ping yahoo.com but magic and emerge fail with the error /root/patches: no such file or directory error.

Looking through the other posts, I think this may be down to my network settings and the DNS settings (although I can connect to the net through browser)

Can anyone shed any light on this, and if it is my network DNS settings does anyone know how to find out BT Openworlds DNS settings as I cant find them on their website!

thanks again

Paul
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Try again, the server has been down a bit today.
Y

Post by Y »

well im compiling as we speak..

the problem lies in the fscked pc my dad uses.. ive installed an extra nic in my own pc.. and it worked.. wow ssh doesnt freeze after 2 to 5 minutes..

i typed in a command i got from dmp..

echo "nameserver <your dns ip>" > /etc/resolv.conf

ofcourse my own Dynamic Name Server ip.. the one from my Internet Service Provider..

i havent checked if it edited my resolv.conf
but i wont knock it.. it worked :D

thnx go out to shallax for he is kind and helpfull WHILE he is developing it.. i mean getting support from the guy who programs the actual distro!! thats what i call dedication!

also a big thnx to dmp from the #xbox-linux.. he was feeling helpfull today :D his words not mine :P eventhough its not the place to go to search for support on gentoox he was kind enough to lend me some of his time.. and help me out..
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heheh another happy customer ;).... Yes, dmp had rather a good breakthrough last night, hence the happiness ;)