What does "emerge sync" mean ??

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
CANE
Linux User

What does "emerge sync" mean ??

Post by CANE »

Through a lot of post l saw many persons using the following command
"emerge sync"
But l haven't understood as well the target of this command

Would you help please!!
l want to be better
Pobtastic
Novice

Post by Pobtastic »

Now I am a n00b so don't take what I say as gospel or anything... But this is how I understand it:

If you 'emerge *something*' then you're installing it onto your system. There's a database of programs/ packages/ etc available here

When you 'emerge sync' you're putting a database of what's available (including version/ release numbers) from that site onto your xbox. Bear in mind that its only a snapshot of the current things *at the time* that you ran it. You will need to run 'emerge sync' every now and then to keep the database up to date. NB here that you really shouldn't run it any more than once a day as its a waste of their bandwidth and you WILL get banned for misuse as it plainly says.

To see what this means, take a look at something which is already installed on your system... In a konsole type: (obviously not the commentary which I've written in brackets!)

Code: Select all

su - root (and enter your password)
emerge sync (if you haven't done so already)
emerge -s nano (this stands for emerge search the database for the text editor program called nano)
The output from this will show you what version you have installed and the current version available. If the current version is newer than yours you can then type the following to update it:

Code: Select all

emerge nano
You *may* come across some things which you shouldn't update as they need patching to work on the xbox. I think these are mostly system type things like drivers, etc... Pretty much all programs I've tried so far work although I haven't exactly been majorly adventurous! :wink:

One handy thing I tend to install is acrobat reader - type 'emerge acroread'. You will however have to create a link to it from your windows manager. The executable is found at /opt/acrobat reader/acroread I think...

The next thing you're likely to post about is why some packages are masked. I think this is because they're unstable for 'our' system (x86) so you're unable to install them quite so easily... Stick with stuff that isn't masked for the time being until you're a MASTER LINUX USER!!!! :lol:

Pobster
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Very good explanation, Pobtastic. As an add-on, I feel that it is wasteful and unnessecary to run emerge sync more than one a week, unless there is a specific security update that you need.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
CANE
Linux User

Post by CANE »

thank you very much.... :wink:
l want to be better
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Trogdor wrote:Very good explanation, Pobtastic. As an add-on, I feel that it is wasteful and unnessecary to run emerge sync more than one a week, unless there is a specific security update that you need.
This is good advice
Their is no point running emerge sync unless you are updating all your packages (with emerge -uD world) or you want to install a package that has only just been released.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?