Too hard

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Too hard

Post by DOGSMAN »

I do'nt stand a chance of understanding linux. Big up to the people who can. I can surf the net, this will have to be enough for me.
Good day and goodbye.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

You only joined the forum two days ago. Come on mate, don't give up. You're obviously not totally incompetent, there's just a lot to learn. It takes time. Spending a few hours searching google for answers to your questions is usually a good idea. You'll probably end up having to come here and ask anyways, but you can learn lots of other stuff you didn't think you needed by looking on google. It's sort of an indirect way of learning things. Not everyone's got a few hours to spend in front of their computer at once, but... well don't be discouraged. Unless you're the sort of person that sees a computer as only having one use (eg email, or word processing) I think you'll find linux has a huge number of possibilities to offer. We're /all/ still learning.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Its all so complicated. I see Linux tutorials everywhere. But there are so many different tutorials for so many different Linux's. I do'nt know where to start. All i want to do is be able to use my printer, digital camera, modem, printer,ect, on my xbox. If i understand correctly, it's possible to run the console as a pc. So if it's a pc then it must do all the things a pc can do, well i do'nt mean everything, but most things. The idea sounds good. The POOR people can have a console and a cheap medium spec pc. I will learn untill i can learn no more, and then i will learn some more untill my eyes go sore.
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

That's the spirit! I still haven't managed to get both my printer and scanner working at the same time. Not that that fact should discourage you.. I'm just really broke, and can't afford more ink for my printer heh.. so it's still in the 'testing' stage... I almost had the image centered and then the tank went dry... sigh. Anyhow, enough about my inability to find a job. It can do all those things... sometimes it's hard to find a gentoo-specific tutorial though.. or a tutorial at all. You're right... but the information is out there, somewhere.... :D
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

My favorite beginners' tutorial is at http://www.linux.org/
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Thankyou for the for the positive feedback. I am now posting this reply on my xbox using Linux(love it). Do i need to install antivirus and firewall protection on my box?. Well i'm off to read up on the link Trogdor has given me.
May your grass grow green
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Linux has about 3 viruses, and all of them are taken care of, so I'd say that you don't have to install anti-virus software. Firewall is mostly unneccesary, because most crackers and script kiddies are looking for windows boxes. Be careful with updates, though, because you want to make sure that any holes in OpenSSH are patched.

DOGSMAN
Adept

Post by DOGSMAN »

Trogdor your a star. So there are only 3 Linux viruses out there. Not many is it. One last question for this post just to put my mind at ease.
Does my win xp firewall and my norton protect my xbox when running linux through a cross over cable. I'm curious, if somebody gets into my box can they control my pc aswell.
May your grass grow green
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

DOGSMAN wrote:Does my win xp firewall and my norton protect my xbox when running linux through a cross over cable.
Yes, it will protect your xbox. Well, there are closer to 10 Linux viruses out there, I was un-exagerating, but they are all solved.
I'm curious, if somebody gets into my box can they control my pc aswell.
Well, to control your xbox, because your xbox is behind your pc, they'd have to get past your pc first to get to your xbox!