Just a little question... thx for help

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Canard

Just a little question... thx for help

Post by Canard »

Just installed Gentoox on E:\ and ran magic
It's benn running for 5 hours now and still not completed
Just 2 questions :
1) is it normal? and if so, how much time does it take to completely update?
2) Does the update (or even Gentoox) modify/alterate my E:\ Partition so i can't use it as before ? (savegames and/or utils stored on it)

By the way, thx to ShallaX and eveyone who can help
Canard

Post by Canard »

Eh..... another question if possible ;-) :

I'm not sure of it but it seems (after having read several threads on this forum) that magic does flash the ROM at the end of the update.
True?
If so, is it possible to decide not to flash it and keep my old bios and have gentoox running?

Again, thanks
hobbes
Linux User

Post by hobbes »

it will flah only if u said u have flashable bios during setup. (i dunno if magic flashes it, but stardusrt will if u tell it u have the chip) i ran magic on my gentoox pro v1.1 right after i intalled it and it took over close to 36 hours. lol, gentoox is not for the impatient....

only native F intsall alters filesystems. u did E: regular so all it does is make a linux filesystem on a file on E: all ur xbox stuff stays and is untouched. hope this helps!
Taily
Adept

Post by Taily »

Magic never flashes your tsop / modchip
Stardust on the other hand flashes it, IF YOU WAN'T IT TO, and if it is able to..

If you wan't to afterwards flash it, you will have to use raincoat (raincoat v.0.5? is included with gentoox home, if you wan't to flash a v.1.4 / 1.5 box you might need raincoat v.0.7, i needed it atleast)
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

hobbes wrote:i ran magic on my gentoox pro v1.1 right after i intalled it and it took over close to 36 hours. lol, gentoox is not for the impatient....
If you chose to install mplayer then I think it would of compiled gtk which takes a long time. If you choose to install KDE then it has to compile qt. On the xbox the kde install takes about 60 hours!
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?