major problem URGENT !!!

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
Ylanday69
Novice

major problem URGENT !!!

Post by Ylanday69 »

i just finnished installing gentoox (my second time so far), ran magic and i have followed the focus support guide to a T (no probs, even the first time no sweat). i installed the loader and flashed the chip and all went fine..... when i rebooted the xbox the bootloader came up with this error:

BootideWrite Data timeout or error from BootideWaitNotBusy ret 1

ide error 04...
ide error 04...
ide error 04...

then it asks for the stardust cd so i ended up putting it in, then it went throgh a heap of dos like text which had heaps of drive errors and ended up then it wanted to install all over again. i figured it might keep my magic updates and go from there like fixing the install from where its at, but no such luck it asked which partition i wanna install to and the funny thing is it only gave me the e option, so i chose e and it said error mounting swap and halted......

I know i didnt do anything wrong it all went through perfectly spotless

Is there any way to fix this or am i totally stuffed???[/quote]
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Re: major problem URGENT !!!

Post by Trogdor »

Ylanday69 wrote:it went throgh a heap of dos like text which had heaps of drive errors and ended up then it wanted to install all over again.
That's funny. I've been using Linux for four years, and I've never heard of the "heap" hard drive error. Good luck!

PS: putting "URGENT !!!" in your post is annoying unless you are having a stroke and need to post your address so someone can tell an ambulance to pick you up.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

i think u got somethin' wrong there buddy
check yo self
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

I'm sarcasticly asking you for all of the "heaps" of errors you got.

Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

well u can take ur fucking sarcasm elswhere, and i'd appreciate it if u never reply to any of my posts again fudge OFF!!!
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Looks like we've got another one, eh Trogdor? I do hate to see people banned.

Dear Ylanday69,
If it would please you to describe the errors you mentioned, we would appreciate it very much, and it would greatly facilitate our ability to aid you.
Thanks very much for your time.
-- Winterborne
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

thx winterbone for at least faking a bit of decency, I'm sry about the indecent post i made. I'm just sick of trogdor's attitude, he shouldn't be in the newbie forum if he cant handle helping noobs. and I aint askin crap that's already in a tut or a post already here, and trogdor wasn't askin me crap he was just being a smart mouth BYTCH !!!! as usual......
And i know alot of others will agree on that one, no doubt.
Well, not that yous r gunna help me now but the funny thing is, the drive errors aint the prob, i tried with my other hard drive, didnt get any errors but i still cant install (not enough space). i can get to the stardust command prompt, and tried the tut on reflashing the bios using stardust / gentoox. i have the bios on a ftp site and stardust wget cant resolve the host or some crap.... so i'm now trying to figure out how i can free up some space on the smaller hdd to install and then reflash. Stardust wouldn't even let me do a native install, which i thought formats the partition (i'm sure there was enough space there if its formated first???)
i had gentoox installed fine on the bigger hdd then i went and installed the new boot loader and flashed the chip like it says at the end of the tut for focus support, then it was stuffed...
So basically im hoping stardust can delete files to free up some room, or I'll just wait for my other chip to arrive...
I just wanna say a big F#CK YOU to anybody who dont like it
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

1. The attitude isn't getting you anywhere.

2. How is your network set up? Can you ping other sites on the internet, just not this one FTP?
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Why aren't you posting all the hard drive errors you get? Are they . . . secret?
winterborne wrote:Looks like we've got another one, eh Trogdor? I do hate to see people banned.
_mikec_ comes to mind.

B34R5

Post by B34R5 »

I dont mean to go offtopic on my first post here but Trogdor is posting here, trying to help you Ylanday69, I'm in no position to judge either of you but perhaps you should consider being a little more patient with him. I help out on a forum where you would have been instantly banned if a mod saw that, following this trend may not only result in you being in poor relations with Trogdor but potentially with the mods an admins here as well, thats never a good thing. I'll keep my nose out from now on as I'm sure you'd wish me to, but I feel it may be in your interests to at least consider what I have said regardless or not of whether you now wish to flame me! :-/

Regards...
Peace on earth
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

my pc has a direct connection to the internet, my xbox is the only other computer connected to it via a crossover cable. when i had gentoox installed i could ping anything but now that i'm on the stardust command prompt i cant ping anything. the hard drive errors aren't an issue as i said earlier and there to quick to catch, i think its to to with it being locked or smth as i noticed it was trying to unlock the drive, i have tried with my other hdd without the errors and I'm basically wanting to know if i can delete files off the hdd from the stardust command prompt so i can reinstall get the net on and flash my chip back to the other bios and get my xbox back to normal.
I'm sry trogdor bout the other posts i just wasnt in the mood for your crap
winterborne
Pro

Post by winterborne »

Your PC is sharing it's internet connection? (I'm guessing you use windows with ICS, right?) Can you ping your PC from the xbox?

Also, you want to have just gentoox on the xbox, right? You don't want to use it for playing xbox games?
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

yeah the ics is on, and i can ping the pc...
and yeah i do wanna use the xbox for games, i didnt think the loader would take that option away. i thought i could still boot the normal dashboard from the loader if i didnt wanna boot linux.
i just followed the tut the way it said to...
my only guestion is how can i delete files from stardust so i've got enough room on the hdd to re-install and fix the bios from there, or if i can get internet access from stardust to download the bios and reflash without re-installing otherwise i'll just switch the chip
thx heaps for your patience so far.....
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

Code: Select all

mkdir /mnt/e
mount -t fatx /dev/hda50 /mnt/e
rm -rf /mnt/e/rootfs /mnt/e/swap /mnt/e/initrd.gz /mnt/e/linuxboot.cfg /mnt/e/gentooxx.xbe /mnt/e/vmlinuz
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Ylanday69
Novice

Post by Ylanday69 »

thx for the help, but on the second line it gets an error saying its busy or something, i'm just gunna switch the chip....
thx again for all the help :) :D