Please remember Iam a noob Ineed help

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
jakin
Novice

Please remember Iam a noob Ineed help

Post by jakin »

Please help not condem. I opened the iso and uncompressed distro.rar and ftp'd it to E:.

My son & I installed every option when asked by the installer,I choose

KDE, The usb keyboard & mouse work great, network through linksys

dhcp got us online.

I think we did ok for knowing nothing about linux. I printed the doc's and

I read them.

I do not know how to install shockwave, run magic, or get to root.

somehow we got into root and set the date and clock. I need a tutorial

that I can understand. I printed the "how to run Magic" tutorial & I do not

understand it or the other tutorials. They are for someone experienced with linux. We are not yet, but trying.

The distro is the latest on the website ..Home . When online listining to

streaming music was all broken up,

Thank you..................

Wiil someone please teach us/Thank you.............
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Re: Please remember Iam a noob Ineed help

Post by Trogdor »

There are some great linux tutorials indexed at Google and many hosted at The Linux Documentation Project.
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
jakin
Novice

toyr remarks are not an answer to my questions.

Post by jakin »

Why don't you just answer the question. Is this a help forum or not. If it is not , I'am in the wrong forum. The wesite states that if anyone need help to got to he forum or on IRC. So how about answreing my questions and skip telling me how to read. I will learn but I have to understand what i'am doing first.
Trogdor
Gentoox Guru!

Post by Trogdor »

Well, this is a support forum, but you are expected to respect those who are trying to help you without profit. We aren't going to spoon-feed you, you are expected to do a little of the work. So instead of complaining, how about using some of your time to search?

EDIT: I don't mean to be harsh, but please try searching before asking, so that you don't waste time ;) .
MOUNT TAPE U1439 ON B3, NO RING

Q: HOW DO I RUN MAGIC ??
A: You run magic by not typing in capital letters.
jakin
Novice

Post by jakin »

Who are you?

You are being condesending! This is a help form & I'am a noob in a noob section. You or anyone else could answer the question, but instead you tell me to go read. I have read alot, and searched..alot

You and this forum should respect the people that come here seeking help. It is humbling enough to ask any question. most distro's have a manual. I bought mandrake and read the book and i'am still lost.

Where is the gentoox manual. that tells me how to install shockwave.

I found an answer on shockwave's website, but is it valid for the xbox?

I have done more than a little work. If you don't want to help why do you keep insulting me? I did not insult anyone here. If this is a noob section
and it is , then have enough respect to answer a question.Why did you waste all that time typing an answer that you knew would not help anyone.

Noob, not intermediate, experienced or expert..but Noob. Are your insulting answer's because you do not know the answer. then just say so. This is the only forum that I have ever been in where I never received an honest
answer to a question. In xbox-scene, I answer the question's if I can help someone. Is there anyone in this forum that will honestly answer my questions? have you noticed the xbox-scene no longer has this distro in the list? They recommend Ed's Drebian. So what it going to be? do I get honest newbb questions answered or just double talk?
jakin
Novice

Here is an example of an answer from xbox-scene

Post by jakin »

Install Ed's Debian 0.3.1 And Kde 3.1, Tips and tricks and such..
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
gainpresence
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 06:46 AM

Master Carpenter

Group: Head Moderator
Member No.: 9942

What you need:
1. Modded Xbox
2. Some media readable by your Xbox
3. EvolutionX installed with access via FTP from your computer
4. USB Keyboard and mouse with a connection to your Xbox (Note that Debian can emulate the Xbox Controller as a mouse and there is an onscreen keyboard in the Debian GUI, but you’ll need at least a keyboard if you want KDE)

Get “Ed’s Debian 0.3.1” (found at http://xbox-linux.sf.net under “downloads”). The filename is “dist-0.3.1.tar.bz2”. Open this file with “Winrar” (http://www.rarsoft.com), and extract to a folder called C:\Debian (or anything you’ll remember).

Go to C:\Debian and Extract “Boot_fatx_vesa.iso” (with Winrar) to C:\Linux, open "linuxboot.cfg" in wordpad, replace 800x600 (in the last line) with 640x480*. NOTE: you only want to extract this ISO file, not any archives within it.

* Apparently it doesn’t matter what you do with this line, as long as it’s not “800x600”, delete the line if you want to.

Move the C:\Linux directory (on your PC) over to your Xbox (with Evox installed), I moved it over to F:\Linux. Make a Link in Evox.ini to F:\Linux\default.xbe.

Burn 0.3.1.iso (from C:\Debian) to any media your Xbox can read (I used a DVD+RW), once the burn finishes, boot it up in your Xbox (if it won’t boot, flash your BIOS to either X2 4976.02 or Evox D.6, If you get a dirty disc error, refer to HSDEMONZ Ultimate Xbox Burning Tutorial).
NOTE: Do NOT make this ISO file into a GDF image or xISO image, burn it AS IT IS!

Once it boots up, you’ll have a login screen (GUI), type in “root” for the username, and “xbox” for the password. It’ll log in to what looks like Windows 3.1 (this is the Debian GUI, not much to look at).

Right-click on the desktop (or press “B” on your controller) and go to “Apps”, then “Shell”, then open “Bash”.

Type in: “XBOXLinuxInstall” (everything is cAsE SenSiTive in linux).

Select the first option that pops up (install on game partition), this will install two files onto your E drive, and you'll keep your F drive and save games .

Answer yes to all questions and after a while, you’ll get a pop-up box that asks you for an IP address, I recommend using the exact same settings as your working Evox network settings. Once you get a message like “Happy Penguin”, the install’s done.

Type "Reboot", remove the DVD AFTER Linux finishes rebooting and before you get to Evox (The “X” screen is a good place).

NOW, if you can already access Xbox Live or anything on the internet with your Xbox, you don’t really need to do any more network settings. BUT, to use two NICs and a crossover, you’ll need to enable ICS on the NIC connected to your modem.

Boot Linux through the Evox link you made, log in, right click, apps/shell/bash.

Type "apt-get update"... wait..

If you get a bunch of "localhost" errors, then your internet's not setup right:
Type in "cd /etc/network/" then "nano interfaces" (nano is a text editor and interfaces in your networkcfg file). Edit whatever you need (if you're on a router, change "static" to "dhcp"). And save it (CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to close).

Now type "ifdown eth0", then "ifup eth0", that restarts your network.

Test your connection by typing "ping -c 4 google.com", if you get "Unknown Host" or the like, then try messing around a bit more in the interfaces file and on your PC (if using ICS) or on your Router control panel.

Repeat from "apt-get update".

Type "apt-get install kdebase".. wait and answer yes to all questions (this takes a long time), once you’re back at the prompt, proceed.

Type "apt-get install kdebase" *AGAIN*.. wait and answer questions (installs the few packages that the first install missed).

Type "apt-get install kdm".. Answer yes to any questions.. make KDM your default videoloader (it'll ask you at the beginning and the end, select kdm both times, it is on the bottom first and on the top second I believe)

Type “reboot”, load linux, select "KDE3" as your "Session type", and login..

Configure KDE (you can’t see the “Next” button, so press enter for the next screen), it'll load and you're done!

If you want to use the onscreen keyboard in KDE, you'll need to login to your xbox (with linux booted) like this:

If you have a favorite SSH App, then you can use that, I am going to detail how to do this PuttY:

Download putty.exe (http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgta ... nload.html) and open it up, select "SSH" as the protocol and type in 192.168.0.64 as the "Host Name". Press "Open" and login with username "root" and password "xbox".

Type "cd /etc/kde3/kdm/", type "nano Xsetup"

Paste this before the last line "/usr/bin/X11/xvkbd -geometry 480x130 &"
Now save the file (CTRL-O to save and CTRL-X to close).

Now, you need to make a new user before you start messing around (DON’T SURF THE WEB AS ROOT!):

Open up Bash or Konsole, or any console program, and type “adduser <username>” don’t type in the “<>’s”. It’ll ask some questions. Now logout, and login as whatever user you just made.

If you can’t find Bash, click Start(“K”) then “Run” then type Bash.

Konquerer is the Web browser for KDE, you can now install whatever you want (Wine, gnome, whatever), But don’t ask me, I don’t know anything about linux …

That’s it! If you have any questions (or comments/corrections), feel free to post them here or PM me and I’ll try to address them.

This post has been edited by gainpresence on Apr 25 2003, 09:20 PM

DarkLegion
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 07:20 AM

X-S Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 11279

Just though i'd a add,a way of getting the keyboard emulator to run when kde starts up has been found:
keyboard emu

This post has been edited by DarkLegion on Apr 10 2003, 07:22 AM

gainpresence
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 08:12 AM

Master Carpenter

QUOTE (DarkLegion @ Apr 9 2003, 11:20 PM)
Just though i'd a add,a way of getting the keyboard emulator to run when kde starts up has been found:
keyboard emu

Very nice!

broadd
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 12:51 PM

X-S Member

Member No.: 22333

Why do you need to do the Boot_fatx_vesa.iso part, when the XboxLinuxInstall command installs the default.xbe file etc on the E: drive and you can boot from that?

Regards,
B

gainpresence
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 09:17 PM

Master Carpenter

QUOTE (broadd @ Apr 10 2003, 04:51 AM)
Why do you need to do the Boot_fatx_vesa.iso part, when the XboxLinuxInstall command installs the default.xbe file etc on the E: drive and you can boot from that?

Regards,
B

Wow, I didn't even notice that. It may be a working Riva bootloader..

I'll check it out.

BodySuitMan
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 09:59 PM

X-S Member

Member No.: 705

does this install linux on the E or F drive? how do you select to install on the E drive. I know with Mandrake you type setup8 at installation, but how do you do it with debian?

broadd
Posted: Apr 10 2003, 10:16 PM

X-S Member

Member No.: 22333

Ed's .3.1 gives you three install options during the process which are effectively 1: E, 2: F, 3: whole drive (needs cromwell bios).

B

BodySuitMan
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 12:25 AM

X-S Member

About that Keyboard EMU, i really am a linux newb. Could someone explain in more detail what you have to do to make it show up? I dont understand which file you have to insert that line into. thanks.

gainpresence
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 01:31 AM

Master Carpenter

QUOTE (BodySuitMan @ Apr 10 2003, 04:25 PM)
About that Keyboard EMU, i really am a linux newb. Could someone explain in more detail what you have to do to make it show up? I dont understand which file you have to insert that line into. thanks.

I haven't done it, but this should work:

Go to BASH, type "cd /etc/kde3/kdm/", type "nano Xsetup"

Paste this before the last line "/usr/bin/X11/xvkbd -geometry 480x130 &"

Then save and reboot.

BodySuitMan
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 02:11 AM

X-S Member

Thanks a lot you guys are bing a HUGE help.

I'm having trouble with the apt-get update part. i type it in, then it says "0% [waiting for file] and it sits there for 30 seconds or so. Sometimes it says 404 directory does not exist on any server [ip: 127.0.0.1 9999]. Sometimes it starts downloading, i assume, cause the 0% goes to 1%, 2% or 6%. Eventually it goes through(it will say "hit" or "ign" followed by a url) a bunch of files and at the end it says some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones were used instead. Are these update servers Busy? Is it possible my internet connection is setup wrong-any way to check this?(IP settings are same as evox and i can connect to xbox live fine and do other networking stuff on my xbox without any problems). thanks.

Tiber123
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 02:14 AM

X-S Member

Member No.: 23277

Go to /etc/apt/sources.list I believe. Delete all the localhost trash and uncommend the https and ftps at the bottom. Save and apt-get update

BodySuitMan
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 02:21 AM

X-S Member

when i try to access that sources.list file it says Permission Denied

*edit*

Ok, i got into the file, and there are bunch of lines that say dmb followed by a url. All of the urls contain the word localhost except for the five at the very bottom. Do i delete everything except the last five here??

This post has been edited by BodySuitMan on Apr 11 2003, 02:26 AM

Tiber123
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 02:21 AM

X-S Member

login as root

BodySuitMan
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 03:29 AM

X-S Member

Ok, i got into the file, and there are bunch of lines that say dmb followed by a url. All of the urls contain the word localhost except for the five at the very bottom. Do i delete everything except the last five here??

Tiber123
Posted: Apr 11 2003, 03:30 AM

X-S Member

Yes,but see the # infront of the bottom 5? Delete those and it will work.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I don't know what you are trying to achieve by your last post.

When I first looked at linux on the xbox I downloaded Ed's Debian, because I'd never seen gentoo but I knew a lot of people who said Debian was good. I very quickly switched to gentoox because

1. Gentoo is a better distro than Debian in just about every way
2. The documentation for Ed's Debian is bad, very bad, what version of Debian are your instructions for 0.3.1 what is the current version 1.x that must tell you something.
3. The information on this website is almost always bang up to date and anything extra you need can be found in this forum, or the gentoo forum.

Trogdor has annoyed you, he's not being rude, the thing is your questions have all been asked over and over again and a few minutes using the search facility will yield answers to them all.

Let me help you out.
I do not know how to install shockwave
viewtopic.php?t=170
run magic
http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... eral+FAQ#8

Code: Select all

get to root
http://gentoox.shallax.com/modules.php? ... eral+FAQ#4

Just to make one point clear, the reason why there is no tutorial telling you how to install shockwave is because you can't, there is no linux version of shockwave, the only way to do it is to buy the crossover plugin from code weavers, however you should do this at your own risk as codeweavers will refuse to support you on the xbox.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
jakin
Novice

my typo flash player

Post by jakin »

i downloaded the linux flash player

that is what I need help described in the previous posts
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

to install flash switch to root and type

emerge netscape-flash

A database of all the packages you can install with emerge is available at http://packages.gentoo.org and http://gentoo-portage.com if you know what you are looking for you can also search from the command line with emerge -s
e.g.

Code: Select all

# emerge -s flash
Searching...
[ Results for search key : flash ]
[ Applications found : 3 ]

*  media-libs/libflash
      Latest version available: 0.4.10-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 172 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.swift-tools.com/Flash/
      Description: A library for flash animations
      License:     GPL-2

*  net-www/gplflash
      Latest version available: 0.4.10-r3
      Size of downloaded files: 350 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.swift-tools.net/Flash/
      Description: GPL Shockwave Flash Player/Plugin, Supports Older Ver <=4 Only
      License:     GPL-2

*  net-www/netscape-flash
      Latest version available: 6.0.79
      Size of downloaded files: 1,374 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.macromedia.com/
      Description: Macromedia Shockwave Flash Player
      License:     Macromedia
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
jakin
Novice

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Post by jakin »

I Printed the readme and it states that i could switch from kde to XFCE

I switched to XFCE and now i can't find the menu item to switch back to kde .Where is it?

When I choose terminal icon on the bottom left. the black box appears.

is the password xbox? it don't work? Is that the terminal? I use su - and i am asked for a password & when I type in xbox i get wrong password.

how do i boot in terminal or kde at will?

Also the gui looks too big for the 27in tv.sometimes the "X" is off the screen & the right side of the display is curved in.

how do i fix that? do i go from 640x480 to 800 x 600. how do i do that?

thanks
jakin
Novice

Post by jakin »

i do not know how to run magic
BoricAcid
Novice

Re: THANK YOU VERY MUCH

Post by BoricAcid »

I Printed the readme and it states that i could switch from kde to XFCE

I switched to XFCE and now i can't find the menu item to switch back to kde .Where is it?
In the panel, you should see an icon that looks like a toolbox. click on the small arrow just beside it and a menu bar will open, with the option to shutdown, reboot, and switch back to kde.
When I choose terminal icon on the bottom left. the black box appears.

is the password xbox? it don't work? Is that the terminal? I use su - and i am asked for a password & when I type in xbox i get wrong password.
Yep, the black box is what we call a terminal. Yes, the password should be xbox unless you changed it, but I guess you didnt or else you'd know what you changed it to.. Do you use any capital letter? xbox should all be written in lower case.
Also the gui looks too big for the 27in tv.sometimes the "X" is off the screen & the right side of the display is curved in.

how do i fix that? do i go from 640x480 to 800 x 600. how do i do that?
That would be by running the "xbvset" command in a terminal as root user.

And to run magic, it's pretty much the same thing as xbvset, except you type in "magic" instead of "xbvset" (always without the quotes).
jakin
Novice

Post by jakin »

if you mean settings for the tool box I have nothing beside it to click on

as for your vbset what is the command line please. Perhaps that is why I ca not see the "small arrow"

so If you would be kind enough Please tell me step by step how to run

xbvset then I may see the arrow

Thank you
jakin
Novice

Post by jakin »

I typed in su - entered xbox and for the first time I got to root.

i typed xbvset and it did nothing so I typed magic and magic started.

all this in terninal. still going.At the very beginning magic ask me if i wanted something .What was it asking I can't read it so I typed no.
BoricAcid
Novice

Post by BoricAcid »

I typed in su - entered xbox and for the first time I got to root.
Woo! Way to go!
I typed xbvset and it did nothing so I typed magic and magic started.
Sounds good. Even though I'm a somewhat experienced Linux user, I'm still a noob at the specifics of Gentoox. I guess that xbvset will be available to you after the first 'magic' process is over. I hadn't tried it before running magic, actually.
At the very beginning magic ask me if i wanted something .What was it asking I can't read it so I typed no.
Why exactly can't you read it? Is it too small or off the screen? If it's too small, going to 800x600 will make things worse for you. My xbox is hooked up to a 29" tv and I kept it at 640x480 so I could read things properly.
if you mean settings for the tool box I have nothing beside it to click on
Well for one thing yeah I meant settings for the tool box icon. Normally there should be a smaller button stuck real close to it that makes a vertical menu bar pop up.. I cannot verify it on my xbox right now as the TV is set on a hockey game :P and I'll be tagged as Evil with the capital E if I even mention I need the TV for something else at the moment.