Webserver help

A place to ask all newbie questions and not get flamed, though you will get beaten down if you post a newbieish question outside of these walls.
EuX

Webserver help

Post by EuX »

I set the webserver up runnign Apache2, but its running off an internal ip, and I'm not sure howto make it run off my ip so people can connect to it. I don't know if this sounds right, I don't know much about linux, or servers. Any help is apreciated, thank you.
Code-X
Novice

Post by Code-X »

If you have a router just set a Port Forward rule to the Xbox IP on port 80. then all connections on port 80 to your main IP will goto the Xbox.
Code The Future
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You also need to add an entry to your hosts file or change the server name in /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
EuX

Post by EuX »

Okay, I forwarded the ports, but it still wasn't working correctly so I moved on to what nobspangle said. I'm pretty sure that I must take the '#' out of #servername localhost, right? Well, I did, but when I save it it says I don't have permission. I don't know howto get permission on the text editor. Please help, thank you.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

You don't have to set the server name, it's just easier and will get rid of the can't find canonical hostname error.

Use nano to open the file like this

Code: Select all

su -
<enter your root password>
nano /etc/apache2/conf/apache2.conf
make your changes then press ctrl+x to exit, y to save and enter to accept the filename.
then restart apache using "/etc/init.d/apache2 restart" and if it's all working you can hit ctrl+d to return to the gentoox user
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?