Accessing an internal ftp server over the web.

Anything that doesn't fit into the other categories goes here - even non-Gentoox related posts can go here! Keep it clean, no flaming!
mbroadhead

Accessing an internal ftp server over the web.

Post by mbroadhead »

Ok I have a ftp server set up with an internal ip address of 192.168.1.103; I know what my external ip address is, that is the one that my router accepts, coming from the cable modem...My question is, how do I access the ftp server from a remote computer, not on my local network? :?:
cheesyboofs
Power user

Post by cheesyboofs »

You need to map port 21 on your routers wan port (the bit that plugs in to the wall) to your computers ip address on the lan side (192.168.1.103) it will be in your routers manual under something like ‘virtual servers’ or something.
Go fully native, it's the destiny of all Mk1 XboxesImage
The needs of the many out way the needs of the few or the one ...
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

I've also seen it called "Port Forwarding", "Special Applications", "Remote Sites" and a few other terms. There's a good site http://www.portforward.com that lists a ton of routers and how to configure them for various services.
adash

SAME ISSUE

Post by adash »

i have the same problem but i have a SpeedStream 4200 dsl modem, and that is connected to a D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router and I have a NAS attached to the wireless router. The NAS has a built in ftp server, how can i access this from an external computer (ftp server), i'm stuck don't know if i have to configure both the wireless router and the modem for this to happen. any help would be greatly appeciated.......