Bittorrent ?'s

Anything that doesn't fit into the other categories goes here - even non-Gentoox related posts can go here! Keep it clean, no flaming!
clpalmer
Power user

Bittorrent ?'s

Post by clpalmer »

Not really gentoox related, but that's why it's in this forum. Still pretty new to bt and exactly how it works at a low level, but I have a few ?'s that hopefully someone can answer.

Is it your download speed or # of connections that's limited based on upload speed or # of connections? ie. If you are uploading to 2 people, you are allowed to download from 4 people. Or is it more complicated based on how many chunks you've uploaded in the past, etc?

Does the current/past uploading of a different torrent affect the download speed of your current torrent? ie. if I seed with a torrent that I've already got, can I download faster with the torrent I still need to complete?

Anyone have a linux bt client preference? I prefer console, but if there's any distinct advantages to a gui one I might consider it. I've tried ctorrent and the original (i think?) bt client (btdownloadcurses.py?). The curses ui in the original is a little easier to read, but it doesn't provide much info besides ul and dl speed and total progress. The ctorrent client is a little nicer in that it tells you how many people are connected with the file you're trying to get and how many pieces are available total, etc.

Are there any other tricks req'd to get a nice dl speed? Pick a torrent with a decent # of seeds, open up an incoming port that it uses, and wait? I've read a bit on capping uploads to 80% of your max for asynchronous connections, but I haven't even hit the max on the one I want yet. Does seeding other torrents that I have complete help (similar to my first question)?
Schultz
Novice

Re: Bittorrent ?'s

Post by Schultz »

clpalmer wrote:Not really gentoox related, but that's why it's in this forum. Still pretty new to bt and exactly how it works at a low level, but I have a few ?'s that hopefully someone can answer.

Is it your download speed or # of connections that's limited based on upload speed or # of connections? ie. If you are uploading to 2 people, you are allowed to download from 4 people. Or is it more complicated based on how many chunks you've uploaded in the past, etc?

Does the current/past uploading of a different torrent affect the download speed of your current torrent? ie. if I seed with a torrent that I've already got, can I download faster with the torrent I still need to complete?

Anyone have a linux bt client preference? I prefer console, but if there's any distinct advantages to a gui one I might consider it. I've tried ctorrent and the original (i think?) bt client (btdownloadcurses.py?). The curses ui in the original is a little easier to read, but it doesn't provide much info besides ul and dl speed and total progress. The ctorrent client is a little nicer in that it tells you how many people are connected with the file you're trying to get and how many pieces are available total, etc.

Are there any other tricks req'd to get a nice dl speed? Pick a torrent with a decent # of seeds, open up an incoming port that it uses, and wait? I've read a bit on capping uploads to 80% of your max for asynchronous connections, but I haven't even hit the max on the one I want yet. Does seeding other torrents that I have complete help (similar to my first question)?
I am not a guru or anything with this just know what i have been using it. so fi someone with more knowledge knows anything please correct me.

I think its a bit more complated with how it works.. I don't know exactly how it works with uploading or downloading but i know its not based on how many connections..

Why torrents are so fast is because each torrent is there own entinty. So everything is only within that own torrent. SO uploading with a different torrent does not affect rating of another. Torrent originally looked basically like download windows for IE .. to where each download was its own.. This prevents people with 100 files in there shared dir and basically can get nothing from them. since so many people working for different files..

So NO seeding a torrent does not help your download speeds of another torrent.

me personally like Azureus GUI client for bittorrents.. use on Windows and Linux wrote in java.

Only tricks i know with torrent is basically watch the seed/peer ration cause if you have 1 seed with 50 peers you might not get the best of speeds until the peers start completing the torrent.

And with the asynchronosous connections you never want to saturate your upload speed sthen you can't send out TCP ack packets (which ackowlege reciept of packets and such.) and if you can't send those out then your downloads will suffere. I am sure someone could explain this one quit a bit more. i just know the basics of it.
clpalmer
Power user

Post by clpalmer »

You pretty much explained the upload thing right, but that much I knew. Good other info though, thanks =)
jezebelus

Post by jezebelus »

until the peers start completing the torrent
I think this isn't true because each torrent is separated in many small parts so your torrent do not have to be 100 percent completed for someone to be able to download from you. I mean other peers will download from your machine all the time while you download.