reading a cd to an image file (bin/cue)

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
knoweffex
Linux User

reading a cd to an image file (bin/cue)

Post by knoweffex »

hey, i was just wondering if anybody has been succesful in this. cdrdao can't find my drive at --device 0,1,0 or whatever combination (i've tried them all) it always gives me this

Code: Select all

Xbox root # cdrdao read-cd --read-raw --datafile /mnt/downloads/driver2.bin --device 0,1,0 --driver generic-mmc-raw /mnt/downloads/driver2.toc
Cdrdao version 1.1.7 - (C) Andreas Mueller <andreas@daneb.de>
  SCSI interface library - (C) Joerg Schilling
  Paranoia DAE library - (C) Monty

Check http://cdrdao.sourceforge.net/drives.html#dt for current driver tables.

ERROR: Cannot open SCSI device '0,1,0': Cannot open '/dev/pg1'
ERROR: Please use option '--device bus,id,lun', e.g. --device 0,6,0
ERROR: Cannot setup device 0,1,0.
Xbox root #
I don't even know what /dev/pg1 is or where it's getting that, i thought it might be something to do with the virtual SCSI and i was wondering if that's how the /dev/cdrom drive is mounted :?: I've been succesful ripping my audio cd's to mp3 with the GUI for lame: RipperX so i'm not sure about this... has anbody else tried this?[/code]
justintime
Linux User

Post by justintime »

CDRDAO is looking for the ide-scsi emulation. The easy way to find your drive is by doing a "cdrecord scanbus". That being said, ide-scsi emulation isn't being loaded from the linuxboot.cfg file, and I don't know if it's being compiled into the kernel.

I haven't used cdrdao lately, but I know that cdrecord was working on a pure atapi-ide interface - maybe that will help?

Justin
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

ok... i've been trying to figure this out all night, looked all over the net, tried a few things, i tried lsmod to see which modules were loaded and ide-scsi was not one of them but neither was ide-cd which confuses me because normal cd reading still worked but anyways, i did insmod ide-scsi and then again to be sure modprobe ide-scsi and then lsmod and ide-scsi was indeed loaded (oh and i also added " append="hdb=ide-scsi" "to the linuxboot.cfg, i didn't know which linuxboot to edit so i looked at the both and the one on my fatx E partition looked like the one i should edit so i did:roll:) I then tried "cdrecord -scanbus" to find the drive and i got the same error that it can't open /dev/pg* and can't open scsi driver. I'm going to restart the system and see if the ide-scsi module will load and if not then i'm stumped :?
justintime
Linux User

Post by justintime »

You need to reboot for the hdb=ide-scsi to take effect. Let me know if it works or not...
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

now, when i looked on the net for this i saw that some people said to add hd*="ide-scsi" and others said without the quotes as in hd*=ide-scsi so i tried them both and upon restarting neither one loaded the ide-scsi module. Also, just adding that to the linuxboot.cfg would only effect after rebooting anyways so if it did work then when i did insmod or modprobe ide-scsi it should have worked also. do i have to somehow specify where the device is in /dev as in whatever the device name is for scsi drives? could that be my problem? i thought cdrecord -scanbus was supposed to tell me that information.