Networking Problem

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Pyrdacor

Networking Problem

Post by Pyrdacor »

Hi !

Got some Probs connecting to my PC NIC with static IP .
I just get no connection in Gentoox even Evo-x and XBMP ( with Relax Sharing ) work both fine with my PC Network Settings . I set up the file from the Konsole like the Network Tutorial says and entered my xbox IP 192.168.0.60, Broadcast 192.168.0.255 and Subnet 255.255.255.0
and for Gateway 192.168.0.1 which is the ip address of my NIC connected to the box . Of course i removed and placed the "#" at the dhcp command and the other lines .
So Gentoox presented me the Xbox IP on bootup but running magic will result in " searching for gentoox.shallax.com " but then it errors out .
I already tried changing my PC setup and getting automatic IP Configuration with DHCP for the TCP/IP Protocol , but this running Gentoox wont even recognise the Network on bootup :(
I´m running no firewalls and blocked no IP ports or sth else

I would appreciate your help and all tips you can give :)

Pyr
rocketeer
Pro

Post by rocketeer »

Not sure I got all right.. Are you using your PC as a gateway, ie having 2 NICS in it - one for internet and one to the Xbox? If so, your gateway setting is correct as long as that IP is actually the IP of the NIC connected to the Xbox.

Have you tried the 'ping' command? According to your settings you should get a ping reply with

Code: Select all

ping 192.168.0.1
from an Xbox console. (CTRL+C to break)

If you do get ping replies, then you at least have a local area network. Try pinging a non-local IP out on the internet. Still working? Then you have a intenet conection as well. For finding out an IP on the internet, open a command prompt on your windows PC and use nslookup to resolve IPs and also to see your actual nameserver.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corporation

C:\>nslookup www.nobull.se
Server:  mail1.telia.com
Address:  10.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.nobull.se
Address:  62.20.1.133
Now only DNS settings left:

In /etc/resolv.conf, make sure you have the correct nameserver IPs - either the nameservers provided from your ISP or your PC IP if it acts as a gateway and can provide DNS res.
/etc/resolv.conf example:

domain localdomain.local
nameserver 10.0.0.1
nameserver 10.0.0.2
Note that 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 are provided by my ISP and will not work for others since they are actually non-public IPs...