Overclocking

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Shmio
Linux User

Overclocking

Post by Shmio »

Just wondering...

I see a few programs that allow a user to up the clock/bus speed. I am profiecient at overclocking, watercooling, and sitting here for 3 hrs compiling xmule. Some ppl are watercooling their xboxes :D I know that having only 64MB of ram hurts but without sending off for another 64 would it speed up compiling times (and be worth it?) or am i missing some larger hardware picture??? i.e. is it possible?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

I don't think it would make a lot of difference, if you watch your CPU during compiling it spends a great deal of time below 100% waiting for free memory to use, the best thing you can do (if you've not already done it) is to move your installation to a native partition
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

ok i want to move my gentoox installation to a native installatoin but the thing is, i only have a C E F X Y and Z drives i have no G, because im only using 40 gig hard drive, i was wondering if there is anyway to resize the F drive and then put the leftover space to a G drive, and is a native installation really THAT much faster?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

The size of F is fixed in the bios so can't be changed. A native partition is quite a lot faster than a loopback especially on the xbox because more RAM is required to mount the loopback which is the one thing the xbox really suffers on.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
DarkManX4lf
Novice

Post by DarkManX4lf »

actually there has been alot of discussion about this on the xbox-scene.com forums, this forum in particular http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... 108657&st=
shows that there might be a possiblility in making a partition tool like partition magic for pc onto the xbox if a developer takes a look at it... oz_paulb is the one who broke the 137gig barrier and he believes that there is a way to put a harddrive partition table onthe hard drive so when it reads it on boot it will read your specified settings....hopefully a developer takes a look at that code