sharing printer: XP box to gentoox

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
knoweffex
Linux User

sharing printer: XP box to gentoox

Post by knoweffex »

hey, i'm trying to access my printer on a winxp box from gentoox with cups and foomatic after following the gentoo printer setup document (sorry, don't know the url off hand :/) so i can get to the cups server site and i add the printer - which IS currently shared on my samba network - but when i try to print a test page it says NT_SERVICE blah blah can't access samba permission denied or something and when i searched the error message i got i found that many others had this same problem but none had there's solved... i made sure the samba links were correct to the printer location and all but no luck :/ any suggestions?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

open /etc/samba/smb.conf in nano and look the [printers] section
it sounds like a permissions problem try and copy the permissions that you have set on any other shares that work.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

well,
i opened /etc/samba/smb.conf but didn't find any [printers] section...does that mean something? i can see the printer in xffm and it says its a printer (canoni860) with a little printer icon so the network can see it, just not access it?
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

sorry I missunderstood you I thought you had a printer connected to your xbox and you wanted to print from windows XP but I see now you have a printer on Windows XP and you want to print to it from the xbox.
I'm afraid I don't know a lot about that
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Shmio
Linux User

Post by Shmio »

anyone?
hercules
Linux User

Re: sharing printer: XP box to gentoox

Post by hercules »

Ive got the problem the other way round. Im runnin the xbox as a server Naslike for files and i want to set up a network printer via samba.
But it doesn work. i used the foo2zjs drivers, foomatic. but foomatic is not on the gentoox tree i think.