newbie lost: emerge bittorrent

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
Dooser
Novice

newbie lost: emerge bittorrent

Post by Dooser »

so i ran 'emerge sync'. that worked.

ran 'emerge bittorrent'. downloaded and installed successfully as far as i can tell.

how do i run it now? i understand how 'gaim' runs gaim, but 'bittorrent' doesn't run bittorrent.

i used 'emerge search bittorrent' came up showing that it had installed, i just dont know how to run it.

...maybe bittorrent's different from other apps on linux, but i dont even know what to do other than 'emerge programname' for anything.

[i have read, but nothing i found helped]
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

if you download a torrent in Mozilla does it open automatically in bittorrent?
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
lovin it!
Adept

Post by lovin it! »

uhh...whats a torrent?
dont answer that lol

search button here I come :D
Dooser
Novice

Post by Dooser »

nobspangle wrote:if you download a torrent in Mozilla does it open automatically in bittorrent?
well...it opens it. but not as a torrent. it opens it and displays a bunch of random characters and stuff.....

might this mean bittorrent wont work on the box?
Dooser
Novice

Post by Dooser »

i read at the gentoo forums that someone had a problem with bittorrent on a pc and a re emerge fixed it. maybe i'll try that tonight.

has anyone had bittorrent successfully running on gentoox?
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

hey, you have to tell mozilla to link *.torrent files to bittorrentgui.sh or whatever the name is, i don't know if it's as easy with mozilla firebird though, check usr/bin for it i forget exactly where it is i'm just reinstalling it now, i had it working great on my old setup though :)
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

hey, you have to tell mozilla to link *.torrent files to bittorrentgui.sh or whatever the name is, i don't know if it's as easy with mozilla firebird though, check usr/bin for it i forget exactly where it is i'm just reinstalling it now, i had it working great on my old setup though :)
Dooser
Novice

Post by Dooser »

knoweffex wrote:hey, you have to tell mozilla to link *.torrent files to bittorrentgui.sh or whatever the name is, i don't know if it's as easy with mozilla firebird though, check usr/bin for it i forget exactly where it is i'm just reinstalling it now, i had it working great on my old setup though :)
how to you go about doing this?
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

well, with mozilla i'm pretty sure when you download a torrent file it would ask you if you want to open it with a specific program and then you would find the bittorrentgui file and it would ask if you always want to use this program and you say yes, then whenever you download a torrent file it automatically links the *.torrent with the bittorrentgui, hope that helps:/

btw..if you can't find the executable try 'locate bittorrent' in xterm and try to find bittorrentgui or something similar
Dooser
Novice

Post by Dooser »

thanks for all the help. it's really appreciated.

using 'locate bittorrent' yielded only things used for emerge. it shows nothing that has been installed. yet still when i run 'emerge search bittorrent' it shows that the lastest version installed is 3.3.0

any other suggestions? should i uninstall it and redo 'emerge bittorrent'?

thanks for your help
knoweffex
Linux User

Post by knoweffex »

hey,
bittorrent finished emerging and i just noticed that the name of the bittorrent gui is actually btdownloadgui.py contrary to what i previously posted as bittorrentgui.sh, i still haven't tried downloading and using a torrent file but you can now try' locate btdownloadgui' and you should find your match, and if you can't get it to automatically link torrent files to btdownloadgui.py through mozilla, you can always just download the torrent files then open them with btdownloadgui.py through xffm :)

p.s no problem about the help, thats what we come here for, i don't know everything but i like to share my knowledge on what i somewhat do know :wink:
Dooser
Novice

Post by Dooser »

sweet, i got it working. thanks a lot!!
Devastator
Novice

Post by Devastator »

hey what programs are you using for bittorrent and how do you install them. im still a little lost on how you install new programs.
althena77
Novice

Post by althena77 »

Devastator wrote:hey what programs are you using for bittorrent and how do you install them. im still a little lost on how you install new programs.
I am using Azureus, you can download it here:

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/howto_linux.php

You don't have to install it, just unpack it and run it with ./azureus, at least under Home 3.1 it is was no problem here, as Java is preinstalled.
XBox: 1.1
Bios: IND 5003
Gentoox: Home 4.0
Installation: F
RAM: 128 MB
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

you can also install using emerge I recommend the binary version.

Code: Select all

emerge azureus-bin
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?