Shades of Grey in the Text Console & upping the res

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
daPlumber
Linux User

Shades of Grey in the Text Console & upping the res

Post by daPlumber »

Am I the only one that has no color in my text console? I have the same problem with Ed's Debian, except that Xfree has the same issue, At least Gentoox's Xfree is in color. I'm using the HD AV connector to my projection TV, and I suspect this may be a clue? :?

Running 800x600 has really made me notice that my set needs tuning. :roll:

Given that I have HD, and the chipset supports it, anyone tried running one of the HD resolutions, especially widescreen?
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

My $0.02 : Are you using PAL or NTSC? I had no color when I used PAL modes on my NTSC TV... just a thought :)
daPlumber
Linux User

Post by daPlumber »

NTSC Xbox.
NTSC Projection TV, that doesn't understand PAL, so I'd expect it to be rolling as well as B&W.
xbvset stuff is set NTSC.

Where is the mode for the console set?

My linuxboot.cfg contains:

kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2 devfs=mount kbd-reset xbox=hdd
rivafb y

I notice that the stardust linuxboot.cfg includes:
vesafb y
xymode 640x480

I'm wondering if that's the problem, and I'll test it later. Is there any information on the options to the pre-built gentoox kernel somewhere?
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

information on the options to the pre-built gentoox kernel somewhere?
Well, you're not going to do better tha the sources it was compiled from ;) Simply cd to /usr/src/linux and make menuconfig, peruse all the options under the sun, included or otherwise :)
daPlumber
Linux User

Post by daPlumber »

Eh, thanks, I did notice that /usr/src was populated since I had to move it to another filesystem for space reasons. I was hoping for a cheatsheet somewhere, instead of having to dig through the kernel config file. :P
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

Eh, thanks
Did you say 'eh' because I'm Canadian? Don't think I'll understand you otherwise, eh? Oops, damnit! heehe ;)
daPlumber
Linux User

Post by daPlumber »

I thought "Ey" was Canadian for Eh, Meh, Feh, Keh, and various other international forms of communicating a brain fart?

I once asked a friend of mine who had lived in Toronto for a few years, what Canada was like. His reply: "It's like The US, only cleaner, colder, and things cost more."

Time for the Kareoke version of Three Dead Trolls In A Baggie's "War of 1812"??? :twisted:
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

I thought "Ey" was Canadian for
To dispel any international misconceptions : although it is certainly of the brain-fart variety, we typically mean something like 'know what I'm saying', although often it's unconscious, yes ;) Example: "Take off, eh!" translates roughly to "Go away, you hear me?" Don't ask why, I guess were strange :)
like The US, only cleaner, colder, and things cost more
I'll agree except for the cold, I just finished a 30-40C summer, oh man was it frikin hot... is -10 to -20C cold for winter? Ya, I guess so wtf I am I talking about, eh? I'm in BC, but if I was in Ontario (Toronto) I would probably dispute the cleanliness too... ;)