GDM OK for 8 sec, then vertical lines

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

nobspangle wrote:On your 1.5 xbox run "grep '/etc/xbv/xbv' /etc/conf.d/local.start" if this gives you anything but a blank output or lines starting with # that is your 8 second focus problem.
root@Xbox gentoox # grep '/etc/xbv/xbv' /etc/conf.d/local.start
root@Xbox gentoox #

nada.
~ToeRag.
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Heh, i was careful to make sure that xbvset doesnt insert any information into this file when it detects a focus encoder. Dont worry, soon I'll have my focus xbox up and running linux and I'll be able to sort it out. dmp is working like mad on xbv to make it support focus xboxes, so once he gets done it should make things a lot easier and more integrated!
The original Xbox adaptation of Gentoo
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

ShALLaX wrote:Heh, i was careful to make sure that xbvset doesnt insert any information into this file when it detects a focus encoder. Dont worry, soon I'll have my focus xbox up and running linux and I'll be able to sort it out. dmp is working like mad on xbv to make it support focus xboxes, so once he gets done it should make things a lot easier and more integrated!
another big thanks to all for your hard work.. take your time. As soon as it;s not fun - it's WORK!
~ToeRag.
Vladivar

Post by Vladivar »

I have a version 1.0 xbox with a 31 wire homebrew modchip with m7 bios on it and I'm having the 8 second screen of death as its been so lovingly called. Everything worked fine after initial install,Surfing the net in 32 inch glory Woohooo! then after doing a massive all in one magic update it looks stunning at the password screen for all of 8 seconds then garbled lines. its not crashing because if i highlight restart and let it goto the garbled screen i can still press a and reboot the box.

I have been changing the horizontal and vertical in the linuxboot.cfg using flash fxp to no avail? (is this possible or am i wasting my time on that)?
or alternatively is there anyway i can update gentoox a bit at a time not using magic ?or is the magic install getting everything in one go the only way? sorry for the stupid question but i have only been at this a day. Top work by the way :) just gutted i cant play with it fully updated ? or work out why??

xbox version 1.0
120gig hdd
31 wire homebrew (hard work) :?
m7 bios
evox v3935
32 inch pal sony
resolution 640x480 pal60
tried various hoc and voc settings in the linuxbootconfig but as i say who knows if this is doing anything?? (cos i dont) :oops:
Last edited by Vladivar on Sat Jan 24, 2004 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

the hoc and voc settings you need to change are in the xbvset script, if you are using ntsc try lower numbers, if you are on PAL try PAL60 or vice versa
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
Vladivar

Post by Vladivar »

WOOOHOO nice one nobspangle :D

ok hope this helps someons just spent an hour logged in with ssh playing with the settings after running xvbset, i changed my settings to

hoc=1 voc=10
and left pal60 as it was and resolution at 640x480 and
WOOHOOO working fine at the 8 second point it still goes off then comes straight back looking perfect.

hope this info helps someone :D

xbox version 1.0
120gig hdd
31 wire homebrew (hard work)
m7 bios
evox v3935
32 inch pal sony
resolution 640x480 pal60
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

Yes, i should have stated that too high hoc and voc settings WILL screw up your display.
BigFisher
Linux User

Oops

Post by BigFisher »

Been away for a while but now logged in to the forum. I see my question raised som hell :twisted: but still I think it´s a good thing. We all want Linux to rock the XBOX and feedback is a great way if used right.

Now to my question :?: :
Before ShALLaX makes some new magic with the Focus-chip (rather funny if I may say so myself :P ) we have some trix. Witch (did I spell that right?) trick is the best or should they both be done?

:arrow: Set HOC to 1 and VOC to 10 (or close to)

and/or (?)

:arrow: Remove or put an # before XBV in local.start. If I got this all right the reason for this is that for now XBV is only supporting the connexant-chip and screws Focus-chips up (not the chip but the screen). That the screen is OK for 8 secs is cause XBV is not loaded and when it loads (after the bad 8) it thinks it´s Focus but it´s not and BAAM. Right?

:idea: I could test it myself but if anybody allready have I won´t need to (as I said, I´m a little lazy :wink: ).
- Bubble oOoOoOo Trubble -
ShALLaX
Site Admin

Post by ShALLaX »

I dont understand your post at all since it doesnt make sense. HOC and VOC are totally dependent on your TV.

There is ABSOLUTELY no need to add or remove # marks since this is done automatically by xbvset. I dont know why people have been telling each other to do this, because it makes absolutely no difference to the final video output. XBVSET KNOWS if its focus or not and adjusts accordingly.

I just got my Focus box working now, so I'm gonna do my own testing.
BigFisher
Linux User

It´s done...

Post by BigFisher »

Great fellow Tux-Boxers,

IT IS DONE!

After reinstalling Gentoox (it was no need for it but I didn´t know that then) and running some magic I have it all figured out. Well to be honest I didn´t figure nothing out. All help given in this forum helped me. So if anybody is helped by this I have some pointers:

:!: Don´t touch local.start, it will not help you with the 8 bad before the Big Baam! As also pointed out in an earlier post from the man (ShALLaX) who is for the XBOX what Torvalds was for the PC (Take it man, you worth it for a great work).

:arrow: Thanks to the input in this forum I tried to set the HOC and VOC values lower than I thought would work. HOC to 1 and VOC to 10 and that rocks the box. You still get the 8 bad but whitout the Big Baam, it just flicks a moment after the 8 bad and then goes in to perfect graphical mode again.

:!: Don´t reinstall it, anyway not if you made an E: install that works. Just back the files up before you run magic and if you really step on Tux balls so hard he breaks you can transfer his old balls back (just a figure of speak, it´s no real balls so it wont hurt the poor bastard for real).

:?: And now a little Q. You might think I know what I´m talking about when I say HOC here and VOC there, but I don´t :? . I still have a little problem. As I said I set the HOC to 1 and the VOC to 10. But my desktop is still to wide. In 640x480 my menu-botton (on the KDE-panel to the left) is out of screen. I guess I should set VOC to an 8 or 9 but I´m so happy now I wouldn´t want to mess it up. OK, you say, take a backup and save Tux and his balls. Yeah I´ll do that, I just thought that someone that knows could tell me instead. If no one knows I´ll try and then I´ll tell you. Promise!
nobspangle
Gentoox Guru!

Post by nobspangle »

from what shallax has said it shouldn't make any difference what hoc and voc values you use since xbvset is ignored on a focus chip you're stuck with the overscan until more focus support is added.
Glad to see someone has focus working under gentoox.
If you keep an open mind, will your brain fall out?
BigFisher
Linux User

Woaw...

Post by BigFisher »

You´re saying I did something impossible? :D Got to buy me a lottery-ticket today, well who could guess. That is like making a snowball survive in Dolly Partons bra for an hour :shock: I´ll even try to walk on water down to the store.

No really, thanks for all help. I guess you can make focus work if you´re lucky and have some patience and of course this forum with all of you in it. And one more thing, I don´t care what anybody says, possible or impossible, it works!

If I made a really cool wallpaper, were could I post it or to who could I mail it? Feels like the time to contibute a little and the money-bag is all emty now (don´t even know how) so I´ll start with a wallpaper. And if no one likes it, (holy goosebumps, is that possible) I´ll just make another one until I get it right or fall asleep...
ToeRag
Novice

Post by ToeRag »

nobspangle wrote: Glad to see someone has focus working under gentoox.
here we go again!

PLEASE JUST WAIT TILL IT'S REALLY FIXED before we start saying it's working!

It wil be working when 'magic' fixes it. Dicking with HOC/VOC settings and hacking files it not a version that supports focus. What's the rush? let's get it right, and go from there.

"Glad to see someone has focus working under gentoox" makes it sound like we are desparate!
~ToeRag.
BigFisher
Linux User

Sh*t...

Post by BigFisher »

OK, the snowball in Dollys bra mealted pretty fast :( I now understand that I didn´t do something impossible :? So here´s the deal (just as nospangle almost said).

The VOC and HOC setting do matter. If you set them to high you get the 8 bad (or shuld I say the 8 good) and then your screen turns to goo. But if you turn them down pretty good you get a nice screen but with the overscan to the left. I didn´t figured that out before now but I think this is the thing ShALLaX is working to fix on his new XBOX. I´ll wait with great patience for it, cause this is good stuff.

This is the case for my TV and I don´t know if it makes any difference on other brands and models. But maybe the rule of setting low values to HOC and VOC is applied on all models but with different values. It´s worth a try. Don´t forget the backup, no fun if you make a mess and can´t clean it up easy peasy...

So here is my final point for Focus-owners:
:arrow: Set low HOC and VOC values. If you succed but don´t want overscan, install Gentoox Home Edition 3.0c and don´t run magic until ShALLax says so.

Gotta go, 24 season 3 part 11 has just landed in my secret chamber...
BigFisher
Linux User

Hey ToeRag....

Post by BigFisher »

Howdy Mr ToeRag!

No need for shouting. Of course we want it to work and of course we want to try to see if we can find some settings that makes it work. That is what its all about.

You know, for example, if your car (or something) don´t start and you have to check everything for yourself in the engine it will take some time. But if you have some friends to help you it will go faster. Maybe you wont find a solution but you came to that conclusion a bit faster with your friends than by yourself.

If we talk about things related to Gentoox in this forum and you don´t like it just don´t read it or waste space with opinons that wont help anybody.

And one more thing ToeRag, you don´t need to answer my post if it´s not related to Gentoox.

Sorry everybody, I hope I didn´t waste to much space now, but I could´t let it be unanswered.