IceWM control panel

Ask questions regarding Gentoox, Gentoo and Linux in general in these forums and we'll do our best to help you!
roadrash
Pro

IceWM control panel

Post by roadrash »

I have seen this app called "IceWM conrol panel" for icewm and it looks very handy.

look here http://icesoundmanager.sourceforge.net/index.php

Can someone tell me which version i need to download and how i install it.
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

Try this;

Code: Select all

emerge icewm-tools
I've never tried it, but it looks like what you're seeking. For more information on how to install, or emerge, programs with Gentoo's package manager Portage consult this link.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

Thanks but thats not the ones i'm after if you want to see the difference here is the homepage of the tools you mention http://icecc.sourceforge.net/#icebgset
and here are the ones i want http://icesoundmanager.sourceforge.net/

I could take the easy way out and just use emerge to get the ones you mention but i would prefer to use the others and anyway ive got to learn how to download things (without emerge) and install them.
can you take a look and tell me what i need to do.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

I typed "emerge icewm-tools" and the process began as normal but its been at it for over an hour now is this normal or has it got stuck in a loop.
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

Depending on how up-to-date your system it, it could take some time.

What takes so long are the dependancies. It took me couple of hours to do a emerge vnc, but when it was done 13 different packages where either installed ot updated.

The more you install stuff the more up to date your system will be and the shorter it will take in the future.
Security - the 'new' freedom
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

the last page on the screen reads.
g++ -c -pipe -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DSIP_MAKE_MODULE_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr/qt/3/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I. -I/usr/include/python2.2 -I/usr/qt/3/include -o qthuge0.o qthuge0.cpp
The build of the PyQt source code for your system is now complete. To compile
and install PyQt run "make" and "make install" with appropriate user
privileges. eric the IDE written using PyQt is now available separately from
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html.
cd qt && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/PyQt-3.7/work/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.7/qt'
g++ -c -pipe -w -O2 -D_REENTRANT -fPIC -DSIP_MAKE_MODULE_DLL -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -I/usr/qt/3/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I. -I/usr/include/python2.2 -I/usr/qt/3/include -o qthuge0.o qthuge0.cpp
The build of the PyQt source code for your system is now complete. To compile
and install PyQt run "make" and "make install" with appropriate user
privileges. eric the IDE written using PyQt is now available separately from
http://www.die-offenbachs.de/detlev/eric3.html.
cd qt && /usr/bin/make -f Makefile
make[1]: Entering directory `/var/tmp/portage/PyQt-3.7/work/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.7/qt'

does it look like its ok?
tundog
Linux User

Post by tundog »

hmmm.....Now that you post that, it does look broken....I'd check the Python QT message boards...
Security - the 'new' freedom
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

Well i got fed up after a few hours and stopped it to try it again from scratch and see if it was any different but it went through screen after screen of info about things it had done and then got to the same point as b4 and just started rattling away at the hard drive. From what the last lines of the text say, I think its compiling something. Anyway its late here in the UK and i'm gonna just go to bed and leave it going overnight and see if its finished when i get upp.
it all seems a lot of effort just to add a number of setup screens/utils to IceWM.
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

well after 6+ hours the xbox was still rattling away at the hard drive which I dont believe is wrong so I had to stop it.
Does anyone know whats wrong and why the "emerge icewm-tools" doesnt work or is there a way i can install the tools manually?
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

well i found the cause and i dont know whether it a bug in gentoox or not but if you just type "emerge icewm-tools" a program called "python" is also emerged and this program contains 3 parts.

1) python
2) pygtk
3) PyQt

I tried to emerge each part one at a time to see which was the problem and it was the "PyQt" part that causes the problem.
I think shallax should look into this.

to anyone wanting to use the icewm tools this is the way i got them to install.

emerge python
emerge pygtk
emerge icecc
emerge iceked
emerge icemc
emerge icesndcfg
emerge icets
emerge icewoed
emereg icebgset.
Scocou
Novice

Post by Scocou »

a bug in gentoox or not but if you just type "emerge icewm-tools" a program called "python" is also emerged.
It must be a dependency of whatever you're emerging, same goes for the other two packages. Python is an open source programming language. See |here| for info :)
roadrash
Pro

Post by roadrash »

but shouldn't the part PyQt part install much quicker? When i emerged each item one at a time thats when i discovered which one was causing the trouble (PyQt) and this time i just left it for 11 hours and still it hadnt finished the PyQt part so there must be something wrong surely?
leonov

Post by leonov »

Not necessarily -- it could be normal.

One of the dependancies of PyQT is the QT library, which is a very nice, but VERY large C++ GUI library. If you don't already have QT, or portage is trying to upgrade it, the process could take a long time -- like a whole day, easy.

The problem is RAM. It's the main problem with XBox Linux. Compiling (and linking) a program or library can use a lot of RAM. If you don't have enough linux uses your harddrive (a process called swapping). This stops your computer from crashing, but the harddrive is about 1000 times slower than RAM. Linux is smart about this, and tries to keep the stuff you are actually working on in RAM, but it could still takes HOURS.